Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveability Dilemma

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Atom Eyes, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Atom Eyes

Atom Eyes Registered Member

I might as well throw this out there, since I've wondered about it for years. I'm the original owner of an '89 K5. I love my truck dearly and never want to part with her, but I wonder if anyone else has my problem. After 175,000 miles, and no matter how new my BFG All-Terrain TAs (or my brakes) may be, my truck doesn't like to stop or turn without sliding at the slightest hint of moisture on the street. She's a total joy to drive on dry ground, but I hate having to go anywhere in the rain or snow. Am I crazy? I've noticed that nobody in a car seems to have the need to be as cautious as I have to be. Agressive as my treads are, is this normal? I'm running 32s, a totally stock drivetrain and no lift.

2. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I doubt its your tires doing it, sounds like your tires are all locking up cuz your brakes are grabbing real hard. Bleed em maybe im not 100% sure. Anyone else got any ideas

3. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

What air pressure are you running? Doubt this is your whole problem, but could be part of it if your tire pressure is way high.

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

mabey your brakes are adjusted wrong. Also the air pressure thing. It really shoulnd't be doing that.

5. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just a thought but how are your inner u-joints?

Could they be binding? :dunno:

6. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

which is sliding, the fronts? are your rear brakes adjusted right? try backing up and stomping the brakes 5-10 times hard enough to slide, and that will usually get them back in adjustment. might even have to adjust them manually if its bad enough.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

mine skids too..

Every GM truck I've had,2wd,4wd,1/2 ton,3/4 ton,ALL lock up the rear wheels, every time I stop at the end of my driveway first trip of the day!..even if I barely touch the brake pedal!--they shudder and skid,and re real "grabby"--once I drive a 1/4 mile or so,it wont do it again until the next day (if weather conditions are right that is..)

I think the drums get rusted overnight,(or perhaps the rear shoes are metallic??)--anyway,with an empty bed I'm gauranteed to leave skid marks at the end of my driveway each day,especially if its damp out or has been raining!..some days when its dry out it wont do it..

I hear many other owners of GM trucks of similar vintage having the same dilema..it makes mine not much fun to drive when its slushy or snowing out too--makes it skid easy,and the brakes dont "dry out" on days like that,so they tend to lock up easy,unless I add weight in the bed...:crazy:

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem when its wet or damp outside.
    -Harrison

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Even my newer vehicles do the same thing, if I pay attention to it. I agree, it's probably the combination of damp nights/humidity, and a slight bit of rust.

But after that one time in the morning, it's fine.

If the truck does it all the time, there are other issues.

10. Atom Eyes

Atom Eyes Registered Member

Thanks, guys. Diesel4me eases my mind a bit, because my truck's been doing this from day one (of course, it was a dry day when drove her home from the dealership in October of '88).