Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveability problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HOSS874X4, Oct 22, 2005.

1. HOSS874X4

HOSS874X4 1/2 ton status

i have an 87 blazer with a 350 and 700.the engine runs and shifts fine if your
    just cruising around but if you go and get on it,it boggs down and slips through gears in transmission.have new cap,rotor,wires,plugs,coil,igniton module,pick up coil and updated shaft in dist. it seemed liked it had to do with timing but everything is set to speck.trying to figure out if something else is wrong with engine or is it all transmission?maybe slack in time chain?
    or no line pressure in tranny?

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Your symtoms and diagnosis are a little vague.
    Im guessing these problems were apparent before you did the tune up.
    Im also guessing this is a carb, but I have seen a few late 87s be TBI.

What happens around town? Does the engine sputter upon acceleration? Is it a smooth acceleration? Does it idle erratically? Does the transmission shift properly? Is the transmission slipping? What is the updated shaft in the distributor? When you set the timing, did you disable (and plug) the vacuum advance? Is the engine light on? Do you have the old plugs (you can read the plugs to give you an idea of whats going on in the cylinders)?

Take a vacuum reading, see if its enough and steady.
    Pull your tranny dipstick and inspect the color and odor of the fluid.
    Check fuel pressure.
    Check and replace fuel filter.
    Check EGR function.
    Check timing with a timing analyzer light if possible (if you rotate the advance knob and watch until the timing mark on the balancer reaches TDC, the knob on the analyzer will tell you the current timing).

Post up what you find. Im sure we will be able to find the problem...

3. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

Have you done any mods lately that involved the carburetor linkage, etc.? Your symptoms sound a lot like a poorly adjusted TV cable. I had the same problem after doing an engine swap and when playing around with the carburetor. Make sure your cable is hooked up and properly adjusted.

4. HOSS874X4

HOSS874X4 1/2 ton status

yeah its a tbi the shaft has swirls in it to prevent oil from getting in the dist
    checked vacuum,checked egr,did disable ect,serviced tranny,new plugs,wires cap rotor.it doesnt really stutter its more of slipping through all the gears ,
    mainly 2nd and 3rd.im pretty sure its all tranny but i wanted to see if anyone else was having this problem it just feels like timing is way off and when you go to get on it,it seems liking the timing is trying to catch up with your foot
    and it slips through all gears like i have a powerglide or something

5. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

Man, that really sounds like a TV cable problem. It'll make the transmission shift all squirrely. Mine would give me problems when I stomped on it -- would wind out first, then release, but not go to second, (kinda like missing a shift in a manual) the RPMs would shoot up and it wouldn't grab second until you eased off the gas. Sometimes would feel like it would go from first to third (kinda like that Powerglide feeling you mentioned)

Check it out, because if it's not right, you'll burn up your gears in a hurry...