Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveline advise needed

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by bigyellowjimmy, Jan 15, 2004.

1. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Im swapping in a 14 FF in my 70 Jimmy, while I was at it I flipped the springs to center my wheel in the wheel well. Now my stock driveshaft is way too short and Im low on $$$, was expecting to use a conversion u-jt temporarily until I saved enough for a custom driveshaft. Whats the cheapest way to get by for a few months? What 205 t-case yoke do I need to match the 14 FF u-jt size? Any advise is much appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Good luck on the length, no ideas there. But the 14 bolt almost always runs a 1350, so that's what you need for the 205, a 32 spline 1350...

3. bigyellowjimmy

thanks Russ, I'll sell some junk I have laying around and hopefully have enough $$$ for a driveshaft, wheres a good place to go? Where do I find a used yoke?

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

AZ drivelines will retube your shaft for around $100. You can find a yoke at driven auto (a little pricy sometimes), it is a 4x4 junk yard.

5. BadDog

Jess sells those yokes for around $80 new IIRC. (just for comparison with JY price)

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The last yoke I bought was $45 for a 14SF, my NP203 1310 yoke was $45 also. Randy (Driven Auto) is kinda proud of all things that end in 205 or 60 though.

7. bigyellowjimmy

sounds good guys, thanks for the info, I'll call AZ drivelines and also check for a used yoke for less than $80. would be best to have all 1350 joints so I may end up just doing it right to be done with it, then just have it shortened if I ever put a Doubler in.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BadDog

Just a word of advice, lots of guys have had trouble with Oscar at AZ Drivelines. Among them, Fred (FWP) and Keith (Crusarius) got charged for things they did not get. On the other side, people like Rob seem to do fine with him. <shrug> It's up to you but I wouldn't give AZ drivelines the time of day... I would try Phoenix Drivelines or Mesa Drivelines instead.

9. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

I went to Mesa Drivelines and got taken care of right.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. bigyellowjimmy

my neighbor recommended Mesa Drivelines too, I'll check there first since its close by

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I would go to jesse at HAD over most local shops here. We just got our crew cab project back about 45mins ago and my dad said the new AZ driveline is hellbent to vibe. We had them install it and I haven't moved the perches though, so that may be it (I hope).

12. bigyellowjimmy

matt-did you figure out where the vibe was from on your crewcab?

Just called Mesa Driveshaft on Southern ave and will go get a quote on Mon (closed weekends), I saved the driveshaft from the C-30 when I pulled the 14b so hopefully they can shorten the front end, weld a stub for a slip yoke. How long of a slip yoke/stub do I need? Just the standard 5 1/2" long one or????? Any ideas? oh, I have 52" long, 6" lift springs w/2 1/2" blocks. thanx

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Well the crew cab is a little complicated. We chopped down the rear frame to fit a short bed (now a 1976 4 door shortbed) It has a 6" lift (all springs) and a swapped in 14SF (removed a dually D70 and had a 14SF in the yard). So now our driveshaft was too short for a 2 piece, and too long for a 1 piece. We had AZ drivelined build a custom 2 piece with a cv in the rear section. The angle at the axle is what is causing the vibe, I hope. (My t-case joint on my K5 is way worse though). We'll find out as soon as I put on the new spring pads.

14. bigyellowjimmy

A 76 4 dr shortbed? very cool. The 14SF isnt a bad axle, I thought about one myself, lighter weight, more ground clearance and comes in 6 or 8 lug. Is your CV joint at the diff yoke or carrier bearing? Good luck on the vibe!

15. bigyellowjimmy

I decided on HAD, I was very impressed with the service, speed and price. I went with a new d shaft, 3" .134 wall tube, 1350 yokes, non CV...$309.00 1350 t-case yoke....$48.00 shipping $18.00 for a total of $375, ordered from Jesse Thurs late afternoon, driveshaft arrived at my door Tues afternoon. Mesa Drivelines quoted me $360 for the driveshaft alone. Thanks for all your help and for recommending HAD! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You told jesse you were orange on ck5 right? I hope so cause he likes to help us guys out. Glad to hear it worked out for you. In the long run a little extra spent now will make you happy for quite a while.

Update on the crewcab: Welded on the new perches. No more vibe. Kinda nice. The front springs and sway bar make it ride like a tank (ask harley).

17. bigyellowjimmy

I thought Jesse only gave discounts to Pirate guys until Shawn supersize told me different. He was really fair to me regardless.... I agree, its done right now. Congrats on the crewcab, mine is vibrating bad now too, going to check the spring u bolts next.

18. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Wasn't the tie rod ends makin the vibration?? Good luck.

Allan

19. bigyellowjimmy

Replacing the tie rod end helped but Im still getting a terrible vibration/wobble.

20. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

This is prolly a dumb idea but how are your wheel bearings. I need to check my front shackles as well cuz on account of the weird steerin clackin noise. I think I remember you sayin you had replaced the ball joints so the only thing I can think of is maybe the steerin box but I'm an idiot so there ya go. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Good luck to ya.

Allan