Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveline and Exhaust???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazin Ed, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

I just put a 4" lift on my '88 and need to reroute the exhaust so it doesn't hit the front driveline when I drop the t-case... Anyone know how many inches the exhaust Y-pipe should be located underneath the front driveline to clear the added susp travel? Should I keep the same path or go another route? Can I drive w/o the front driveline installed until I get to an exhaust shop?

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Yes you can drive around with out a front driveshaft as long as you don't need 4X4. Your front exhaust can be rerouted to run as close to your cross member as possible. That is how mine is and I had them tuck it up close to the crossmember so that the exhaust wouldn't be the first to hit an obstacle.

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of moving my Y pipe to make way for the front driveshaft. I have 7'' of lift and had to lower my T-case to help the rear driveshaft angles so running the exhaust under the front shaft would just hang too low. Try rerouting it forward and above the front shaft instead of below. Mine ended up being right where the engine and tranny meet with about 1/2'' between them and the pipe. This clears my front shaft fine, but may be different with a 4'' lift. Now I just have to finish welding it up!

4. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

When I get home I'll see if this will work for my setup... Will you still be able to drop your tranny in the future? How far will you need to drop your t-case to compensate for the rear angle?

5. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

You will still be able to drop the tranny if needed but you will have to unbolt the Y pipe from the manifolds and the cat. I have 5 1/2'' of lift on the rear using a shackle flip and 1 1/2'' block, the shackle flip corrected the pinion angle but made the upper u-joint at too steep of an angle so I lowered my T-case about 1'' by moving the factory spacers from underneath to on top of the crossmember, I haven't had any bad vibrations since using the stock driveshaft. The stock front shaft will work fine with no modifications on a 4'' lift; I had to grind the c/v on the front shaft to make it work with 7''