Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveline angle Problems and Solutions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jlauto, Jun 7, 2004.

1. jlauto

jlauto Registered Member

I just installed an ez ride 5"? suspension lift off of my 84 blazer (recently purchased) onto my 87 k5. there is a little too much angle in the u-joints on the driveshaft. I am trying to decide which route to take. Either dropping the transfer case down and shimming the rear end. or replacing the drive shaft with a C/V style one. Has anyone had clearance issues with the transfer case being lowered? which would be better?
    A little background on me, I run my family buisness here in chamblee ga. we are a general repair auto shop est.1959...www.jandlautoservice.com, I have always wanted a blazer and now I finally bought a couple to build. I just wanted some input
    thanks
    gabe parker
    mtnbikn@mindspring.com

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Some members have dropped their cases. I just ponied up for a CV shaft. Cured it all in my case since I did a shackle flip and pinion pointed directly at t-case, and my stock one is just the get me home slowly spare. It wouldn't be too bad to shim if you had lift springs, but with blocks, I wouldn't want a shim on a block ( regardless who runs one, I don't like stacking ). /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

if you have blocks, re-cut and drill a hole for the spring pin

4. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

1st post and already a member,,CONGRATS
    i have no idea on the ?'s
    but other will help you out,
    They know there stuff here,
    Welcome to the best chevy site on the net

5. jlauto

jlauto Registered Member

I wanted to let everyone know that about 30 min ago I put the truck on my alignment rack and dropped the transfer case down about an inch. I think this has solved the problem. I still want a cv drive shaft, but ill wait till I flip the shackles. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    chevy rocks....there were spacers on the bottom side of the crossmember already. all i had to do was stick a screw jack under it and through the wonders of air tools it took about as long to move it as it did to get the truck on the rack.
    thanks again
    gabe /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

what are the driveline angles? I put a 4 degree shim in my rear leaf pack along with new center pins and spacers to hold in the shims...dropped the tcase...and all was well....needs to be in the 3 degree range for vib free cruising.

DW