Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveline angle/Shim????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5RON, Oct 3, 2001.

1. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Just got a CV driveshaft and was wonderin' where I can buy 3* STEEL shims? This would give me 0* at the rear u-joint when the vehicle is at rest. Or would I be better off to have it(pinion)point a degree or two down to compensate for axle wrap?

Ron

'84 K5......Tree Fitty, SM465/Np205, D44/14BFF, Pro-jection! .....and of coarse no other color than Odie!

2. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

you can go ahead and get the driveline lined up in a straight line with the pinion. You want it straight for when youre on the freeway and such... you dont have to worry about axle wrap.. besides, when youre flexing things that much, youre probably not going too fast anyway. I ran a 6 degree on my 7" lift in the rear with a CV.. Ive flexed the hell out of my rig and never had a problem. Its smooth on the freeway too. I know what you mean with those aluminum shims.. Ive cracked some myself. The only company Ive found that makes steel ones is Tuff Country. www.tuffcountry.com. Ive had those in the rear forever, and theyve held up fine. Hope I could help.

Chris
    San Jose, CA
    '84 K5, 7", 35x16 boggers, and a lot of fender hacking

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ron, you dont want your rear pinion angle to be "0". You want it to be 1 or 2. You will have axle wrap. Thats why you will need to have the angle at the rear to be 1 or 2 to comp for the axle wrap so that when you are driving the angle will be at zero.
    Good luck on find good shims.

"you know... the guy with the BAD A$$ spring perches!!![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>