Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveline angles and 14 bolts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Aug 27, 2001.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I've got my 14 FF installed and I've got to get the best place to measure the pinion angle. The yoke is a little rounded so its kinda sketchy at best, so I tried the flat area on the passenger side right above where the tube enters the pumpkin and got an 8 almost 9 degree.
    But then I start thinking[​IMG] and I placed the angle finder on the yoke flats where the straps bolt down and Im reading a 10 almost 11. Which one you all think is the best to go with?

Also, is there a better way, trick, tip or something else that will work better?

What is and what should never be....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I used the yoke flats (after removing the driveshaft of course), I believe that is the best place to measure from, since that is where the u-joint will be operating from. I can't remember what mine were exactly after the lift, but 8 degrees sounds familiar. After finding a 6 degree shim I am back in business, my vibes are gone for the most part.

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Do you have your T-case lowered? I raised mine back up to stock height and took my numbers. Im at a 19-20 degree angle on the driveshaft and the pinion (yoke flats numbers) Im at 9-10 degrees. I already have a 4 degree shim in.
    So If my subtraction sux or something lets use the 20 and the the 10, thats 20-10 =10 (working angle of the rear U-joint)
    Which means I need 8 degrees of correction. So having all this in one set of shims, I'd have to have a 12 degree shim to get me set for 2 degree rear for the CV setup.
    This shim size sounds shady. So Im gonna get the perches re-angled. But just wanted to make sure I had my $hit together here!

Im gonna loosen the U-bolts and jack the front of the rearend up to simulate the angle needed for proper measurements and order the 1350 CV shaft from Jesse in 3-4 days[​IMG]
    Cant wait.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I take it you have a fixed yoke transfer case, ftn96?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I've just converted my 241 to fixed yoke...yes[​IMG]