Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveline Angles ***Update***

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dammit32, Jan 4, 2004.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

I raised my t-case back up to the stock position, ground off the spring perches on the rear axle, measured my t-case angle (4*)...concluded that the pinion angle at 2* would be perfect

then i welded them on, installed the driveshaft and went for a ride.... the misery continues

it seemed to shake some on load but during braking the bolts on the rear u-joint clashed with the driveshaft yoke...

It appears to me that I exceeded the limits of the driveshaft...

Because my K5 is a DD I needed to recover it so that it was at least usable so I dropped the t-case down 2" and it vibrates but I can use it

HELP

2. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

After some thought and a run out to the K5 with a protractor... with the tcase lowered the driveshaft is at 20* so the working angle of the ujoint is incredible....

HELP

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

dammit!!!havent seen you post in FOREVER..anyways.. i have a thought.. maybe you could make some spacers to drop the t-case, with a little more angle towards the rear..so the rear of the t-case sits just slightly lower than the front?

4. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

well it looks like i'll opt for the cv shaft as soon as the budget allows ... but i have to drive it to get around til then

So I think I will try to drop it an additional 2" at the tcase(for a total of 4")...I may have to pull the front driveshaft until I get a CV because with it dropped 2" the driveshaft is laying on my Y-pipe(4" will probly separate the donuts at the manifold)...after dropping the tcase 4" I should be able to acheive some descent angles with shims on the rear axle.

another scenerio i was pondering for a temp fix was to remove the shackle in my shackle flip which would lower the rear and make the K5 look silly but I would still retain 4WD and get good angle.

just some thoughts...

5. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

@ 4" of tcase drop, i think your distributor is going to hit the firewall, maybe not with your smaller TBI cap

6. jwglover

jwglover Registered Member

I RUN 8'' LIFT AND THE 14BOLT IS TURN UP AND THE T CASE IS
    DROPPED 2 IN, I RUN A 400/205 WITH A SLIP YOKE ON THE T-CASE
    AND DONT HAVE ANY VIBRATION,
    IT HAS BEEN IN ABOUT 7 YEARS, LOTS OF WHEELING AND ABOUT 75 K ON THIS SET UP, NO PROBLEMS,
    BUT WITHOUT THE 2 '' DROP ON TCASE IT DOES HAVE A BAD VIBRATION

7. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

so you think my driveshaft is tweaked?

the shaft in the tcase seems firm and the rear 14b has about 20k on it and feels firm as well