Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveline angles

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Ryan Melton, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Ryan Melton

Ryan Melton Registered Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Got the Doubler in and am measuring for shafts and was curious as to how steep an angle I can run the pinions on my axles. I've heard about 20 degrees max. I know its likely I'll need to rotate knuckles.

Specifically the 14 Bolt rear. I've shortened my W.B. to about 125" and was considering running a two piece shaft in the rear with the pinion pointed up high as possible.

What would be the steepest the 14 Bolt can run and still get adequate pinion bearing lubrication on a trail only truck vs. a sometimes street driven truck?

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Sep 15, 2000
    I'm not sure what to tell you on that one, I'm running about 18 or so on my 14FF with no apparent problems. I suspect there are plenty of 14FF's running about this angle since I have a pretty common drivetrain and lift height. I'm not sure where to send you for more info on this, I'm sure somebody has a better answer than I do.
    Larry Dagon has the 2 piece driveshaft with CV setup and it works well for him. Certainly easier on driveshafts than a 1 piece job.