Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveline breakage??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by az-k5, Feb 20, 2004.

1. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Okay I am on the way to blowing up a NP203. I have my hands near a D60 to match my 14FF. I can't afford new driveshafts or a 35 spline kit. Here is my questions:

What does it take to break a 30 spline stub? (I do have the beefy inners)

Wich is weaker in the front driveshaft? The 1310 joint or the CV?

Will a lockrite hold up in the front (I got a detroit in the 14FF)

I only have a weak and tired q-jet 350/350/203 combo, no doubler, 4.10's and lockers. Oh and I play in the rocks almost exclusively /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and want to follow the hardcore AZ guys. (except for Marv and Russ- buggies/truggies is cheating until I have one... then all is fair/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)
    I will run this set up for a while I am just wondering what to expect from it.
    Thanx

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The 30s will hold up as long as you don't get crazy (gears or pedal) or go to big tires. The 1310 is weaker than the CV in general, but it is straight so it's not too bad. Some people run lock-rites for years with no issues. Matt, Beck, Fred, several others. Matt's even survived multiple broken axles, joints, etc. and has been turning 42s since 98 or so... no problems... Mine... died on Upper Hell at the worst possible time, what a mess... I no longer feel confident recommending them, but you can make your own decision. I now run a Detroit and it is better and more consistent than the lock-rite ever was

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Carry a couple of Spicer 30 spline spares...

Ask Russ what he thinks of the Lock right.

Rene

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Okay that was what I was wanting to know. I can carry spare 30 spline (I already have a spare hub) and spindle. The 1310 joint is cheap enough to kill once in a while and stock NP203 front driveshafts are $40 used. So no worries till summer when I get some 40's and 35 spline. I can carry the spiders from my carrier and if I blow the lockrite I will build a spool if I have too.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've blown the CVC's to pieces but have never blown a U-joint. Ever. I also run a lock right with the 30 spline outers and have been OK although its time to rebuild the front and I might upgrade since I am there anyway. I also run the lockrigh in the front and it has held up well. Its cheap enough that I am considering a second one for spare parts.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Its weird. Some people break stuff all the time and other people do not. I guess its all in how you drive.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Wow, other than wear and impact/bind damage (often due to larger lift), I've not seen the CV let go. Mostly it seems to be the 1310 when already less than ideal due to lift (no longer straight at static height), and it gets angled even worse by a drooped right tire with flexy springs (which might also get a CV depending on lift and clearancing ). Still, from what I understand/recall, all things being equal and set up correctly, the 1310 should yield first, especially when drooped.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The 1310 is much smaller than the CV as far as joint size, but I still think that the potential for the CV to bind and break is much greater.

I'll just have to see when I get my truck out in the woods now. Before, I'd break the front axle all the time and the front driveshaft would always hold.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i have seen quite a few shafts with the CV joint and cat iron parts busted but never seen a U joint busted.... in a truck anyways,

now cars.... ive sene thos elittle U joints busted quite a bit, including in this 74 ventura out here, 369 joint i believe, the old common gm car ones,.

snap... and its only got a real tired original numbers matching 250ci six in it and it busted the front joint..

pretty sad..