Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveline issues after axle swap and lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by la_blazer82, Jan 31, 2005.

1. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

I swapped in a D44 and 14bff, in place of the 1/2 ton 10b. I also installed 4" TC + 1" zero rate (front); ORD flip + 5/8" zero rate (rear). I used a new trick #447 u-joint for the d-shaft to 14bff pinion. There were vibration issues that were cured by lowering the crossmember/t-case.

The problem: After driving the K5 for about 2 miles at approx. 25-30 mph, I started to hearing squeaking from the rear, that ended up turning into a loud squeal. At at few points, it felt as though the brakes were sticking or being applied, without my foot on the brakes. I ended up driving it back home at a crawl (less than 5mph), and it continued to squeal from the rear, and at times made a grinding noise (similar to when disc brakes are gone (metal-to-metal).

Any ideas? I have no clue what it could be; almost as though something is overtightened. The d-shaft straps are to specs (i think 20 lbs).

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You wouldn't of happened to hook up the e-brakes ? I would definitely look at the brakes either way since it isn't too hard to take off the hub nuts . My one friend with a 14bff had some hardware come loose inside and make all kinds of sqeuks and squels that turned into a scrape/grind when it lodged behind a shoe . Part of the hardware just fell into my yard when he yanked it :k5: :k5:

3. la_blazer82

Actually, I didn't hook up the e-brakes yet as the cables on the 14bff were MUCH shorter than those on the 10b. I did zip tie them out of the way so that they wouldn't get caught up on the wheels or d-shaft. But there is definately no tension on them from preventing them from moving within the drum

4. la_blazer82

Looks like I should have thoroughly checked the 14bff before swapping it in, and not relied on the person I bought it from. I was told that it was serviced and driven for 10 miles. The wheel bearings were bone dry, heat up and dissinegrated, causing the center hub to expand from the heat and practically weld in place. It was a be-otch! But at least it's finally taken care of.

Now I have to figure out what to do with the e-brakes!