Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveline issues

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cp87jimmy, Mar 19, 2000.

1. cp87jimmy

cp87jimmy Registered Member

Hello most knowledgable ones, I recently installed a 4" lift kit on my 87 Jimmy consisting of tuff country springs in front and ORD shackle flip in the rear with an add-a-leaf. I had terrible vibrations in the driveline until I lowered the t-case. I still have vibes at about 40 to 55 mph. under load only. It seems as though my rear diff. is in a staight line with my driveline with a severe angle at the t-case. I know I should probably lengthen the d-shaft,but should I consider a cv system since the diff and d-shaft line up? I don't mind spending the money if it corrects my problem. I've heard that the cv joint fails often. Is this true? Should I upgrade too 1 ton units? Any advice would be greatly appreciated from all you guru's. Thanks in advance, Chris

So addicted it's not EVEN funny!!!!

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

You have 2 choices. You can have a c/v style shaft made, or you can cut off your spring perches and rotate the pinion angle back down to the original specks. The driveshaft is easier, the perches are cheaper. Its your call.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

3. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Actually there are 3 choices. you coudl get a slip yoke elim. kit and longer shaft either being CV or reg. U-joint w/ tilted down pinion. Like Dep said, its your choice. Just a side note, i had a sixstates cv that blew up, and had a local replace it. The cost was less than 1/3 of sixstates. and it was almost all new hardware. The CV was even a better version.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

4. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Oh, actually, I forgot, I put a 2 or 3 degree shim in the FRONT of the rearend, to tilt the pinion down in my application. Which was a shackle flip & cv shaft. you may want to try that. I don't think you can go any larger than a 3 deg. shim.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

5. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

I have a 6" lift with a CV joint system. and a lowered transfer case and shimmed diff. The U joints seem to last much longer. But I still have a slight vibe at around 65