Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveline lenght questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Masiony, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

i wasnt able to find anything on the search function so here goes. i am running a 85 k5 with the factory 700r4/208 w/SY, but i am going to a 56"rear spring that i will be flipping backwards w/ a DIY4x shackle flip and 6' shackles. i am also going to a 14 bolt FF from the 10 bolt. on top of that, i got some perches with basically a zero rate built in (they have an extra inch of height, plus the offset holes. got these from DIY4x). basically i will be running about 6" of lift (at least thats what im going for) and i will be moving the rear back as far as i can go with out getting into the gas tank (i may even shave the top of the pumpkin to help with this).

my problem is this, i will not be changing my 208 (at least not this year) nor will i be changing out the SY unless i have to. im looking for an OEM driveline that will fit my setup because i know the one that is in there will be too short. will a factory driveline from a shortwide chev w/ 700r4/208 work? or what about one from a standard cab/bed? i am going for the cheapest/easiest solution. i dont want to spend money that i dont have to buy some expensive custom thing. i just want something that will get me on the trail this year, cause next year i will probably be going dual case and all that jazz.

any advise?

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Do what you want to do and measure it in the end. FWIW if you want to use a factoy shorthbed you would need to move the axle back 9"-10"

why i say that--i had an 83 short bed PU rear driveline was 42" long. transfred everything to a 74 blazer and had to shorten the driveline to 33"

3. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

were you running a 208?

what is the WB difference betweem a K5 and a short bed?

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Swap to a 465/205 and you can fit the driveshaft from a shortbed with a 700/208. :D

5. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

shut up paul, stop trying to get me to ditch my stock crap. let me at least have fun breaking ot first!

6. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Best bet is to get it all in and then measure center of yoke to center of yoke...

7. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

all i guess i want to know at this point is what is the WB difference between the two?

8. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

oh, ok, i misread your first post. What you might do is measure the shaft from a donor truck that you will be getting the shaft from and going about lengthening the wheelbase by how long the shaft is. Im not sure how much difference there is in a k5 shaft and a swb truck. I am wanting to say(could be wrong on this entirly) that a longbed shaft might be better as you are adding lift and also making more wheelbase.

9. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

well, add a 14FF sorta negates the lift i will be running. so as far as i can figure, the thing i need to worry about is how far i push the axle back. since i havent set my perches yet, and they have a build in zero rate, i can kinda put it anywhere i want.