Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveline problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PerdidoK5, Apr 2, 2004.

1. PerdidoK5

PerdidoK5 1/2 ton status

I have a '79 K5, stock except 33" tires. It is full time FWD and has an NP203 transfer case. I heard some grinding/popping noise one day coming from the transfer case, turned around and went back to my house, parked the truck, and it hasn't moved since. I can put the truck in gear, with any position selected on the case, and only get noise. I looked under the truck while it's in gear and see my rear shaft spinning freely, front shaft doing nothing. Speedometer indicates I'm hauling ass. I pulled both drive shafts off, looking for anything obvious like a broken u-joint or something and they look fine. However, I can turn the rear shaft in my hand and hear a lot of grinding in the tailshaft(?) of the transfer case. I'm no mechanic, but I'm okay at working on intermediate level repairs. I don't understand why the shaft spins in drive but the truck deosn't move. Someone please tell me what is probably broken and I will have some direction to work in. Right now, I wonder if the transfer case AND the rear end are broken? Anyone?

2. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the transfer case is fine but the rear differential is trashed. I'd pull the cover on the rear differential and take a look. Good luck and hope it's not too bad.

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Check the fluid in the transfer case as well, did you say the noise was coming from the TC or rear diff?

4. PerdidoK5

PerdidoK5 1/2 ton status

The noise appears to be coming from the TC. After I removed the front driveshaft, I noticed the rear still spinning while in gear, though not as fast, and the front flange on the TC spinning like crazy! It even causes the truck to vibrate. If my rear end diff. is bad, wouldn't I still have front wheel drive?

5. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Is the chain in the T-Case OK?
    Bill

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is the chain in the T-Case OK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I was wondering, however it appears the rear d shaft was spinning in gear and the truck wasnt moving....I'd say you need to drain the t case fluid and see what comes out and remove the diff cover and see what comes out of that as well....

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I would think that if his wheels are still on the ground, and the driveshaft to the rear is still moving, something happened to the gears in the rear end??????????????????
    He's probably hearing the noise/vibration travel through the driveshaft. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. PerdidoK5

PerdidoK5 1/2 ton status

I don't know, Tweety. I have never had it off or open. Im not really sure how to check or add oil either; or for that matter, what kind of oil. I want to do it myself, just have a book, a computer, and some tools; no real experience in FWD driveline stuff. Should I drop the TC or open the diff? Both?

9. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Can you turn the pinion on the rear end while the truck is on the ground without the drive line installed? If not I suspect your chain in the T-Case blew out! A replacement chain is about $125.00. The chain is a pain to replace in the rig, so remove the T-case and dissamble carefully and replace the chain. Make sure when you reinstall the t-case to the tranny you get the t-case and tranny seal lined up correctly or it will leak like a siv.
    Bill

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    After I removed the front driveshaft, I noticed the rear still spinning while in gear, though not as fast, and the front flange on the TC spinning like crazy!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    If the chain was broke, wouldn't the front driveshaft flange quit moving?

11. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

if you're going to pop off the diff cover it's real simple.

1. unscrew all the bolts holding on the diff cover and leave one on the top, but loose.
    2. pop off the diff cover witha screw driver or something.
    3. let the fluid drain into a pan or something. (probably about 4 to 5 pts.)
    4. spray some brake cleaner on the gears and stuff.
    5. check out whether there are any broken teeth or anything.

good luck
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I have a gut feeling it's going to be pretty obvious when he drops the diff cover if anything is wrong, i am thinkin there are going to be pieces parts of little things falling out along with the 2.5 qts of oil.

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

It's either a gut feeling on that,,,or i need to use the restroom. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

14. PerdidoK5

PerdidoK5 1/2 ton status

For some reason, 4x, I found that very funny! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif That sounds easer to fix than the TC chain. I will start there. I will be back in a bit to tell everyone what I found out.

15. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree with a rear end problem the 203 acts like an open diff in the center. Sound like right now it is sending all the power to the rear ie broken something back there.

16. PerdidoK5

PerdidoK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a gut feeling it's going to be pretty obvious when he drops the diff cover if anything is wrong, i am thinkin there are going to be pieces parts of little things falling out along with the 2.5 qts of oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! That is exactly what came out, 2 1/2 quarts of goo and a bunch of little pieces. What now?

17. PerdidoK5

PerdidoK5 1/2 ton status

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    es! That is exactly what came out, 2 1/2 quarts of goo and a bunch of little pieces. What now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on what broke it may be fixed. It would be easier however, to replace the whole thing. Try to match the gears you have or go lower and change the front ratio to match. Sounds like the rear let go, mine did too. I went with the cheaper route and pulled junkyard axle when my 10 bolt broke /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

19. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree again find a replacement 10 bolt to throw in there or if you have the funds upgrade to better axles since you have just experienced the spontaneous breakage 10 bolts are known for on these trucks /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

20. PerdidoK5

PerdidoK5 1/2 ton status

As you are looking from the back of the truck, at the diff., with the cover off, there appears to be 4 gears forming a "box" shape. My top and bottom gears completely came appart, leaving only the two on the sides. I assume these are the ends of the axle shaft. They are chewed up some, but dont appear to be broken or deformed. Can I replace these gears? What are they called? If I had to replace the entire rear axle, how do I know the gear ratio?