Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveline problem??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 7, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

When I let the clutch out nice and slow, I can feel it grab the tranny and it sort of "clicks", which is slightly annoying... the big problem is when I am going for quick accelleration, I shift, pop the clutch, and I feel the tranny and transfer case slam into the bottom of the truck... or something is hitting it... anyone have any experience with this?? What did you do to fix it? All support brackets, bars, and bolts are in place, and it didn't do it with the 327... only now with the new clutch and 350.

2. PhoenixZorn

come on guys... I need tips here... no one has even looked at this yet...

3. JNygard

JNygard Registered Member

Sounds like a broken motor mount or tranny mount. Thats the first thing I would be looking for.

4. PhoenixZorn

Fixable or would I need to replace something if that's the case?

5. PhoenixZorn

Called the shop, head guy said sounds like my 380 torque ripped the tranny off it's mounts... the whole stick jumps when I accellerate, so he judged that to be the problem... said as long as I go easy on it and don't tow anything, I should be ok until my 500 mile oil change, at which time, he'll replace the mounts... I hope he reinforces the crap out of it...

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

They're pretty easy to replace yourself, and you can get nice poly ones that would be good and firm. Just take out the two big bolts going up into the tranny/t-case adapter from the bottom of the crossmember. Then you can jack up the tranny a little bit, pull out the old mounts and put in the new ones. If you get some energy suspension ones or something, they'll probably even come with illustrated instructions. I'd hate to think about paying someone to do something that's fairly simple.

7. PhoenixZorn

hmm... got a place to buy them?? I can't search from work, but I can click the links... =) If I can do it myself, i'd rather, but I thought there was heavy welding involved, and I don't have a welder...

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you can get the stock rubber mount at any auto parts store for about $15. the poly mount costs usually around $75. the stock rubber one will take alot of abuse, but won't last as long. the stock ones usually last for 15+ years in a stock truck.

9. JNygard

Summit Racing

Here is the link to Summit Racing for the Poly tranny mounts. Just bolt in, no welding involved.

10. PhoenixZorn

Just called the local AutoZone, and they said they have an OE aftermarket replacement tranny mount for 28.99... I asked if it was rubber or poly, and he said it's very hard rubber, and feels like it could be poly... in your experiences, does AutoZone actually have anything worth buying, or should I wait the 2-3 days for shipping from Summit and pay an extra $20.00?

11. PhoenixZorn

Also, should I buy the transfer case torque mount while I'm at it and fix it before it breaks?

12. PhoenixZorn

.... ttt

13. karmannghia

karmannghia Registered Member

universals

:what: I have had my truck for 2-1/2 years now and I have gone throught 6 universals on my rear drive line. In the last year I have only the highway and boat pulling thing. No 4 wheelen and no drag dacing. Again last night I looked at my truck and the rear universal on the rear drive line is broken. What am I doind or is this regular?? Help this is starting to piss me off.

HELP
    LGB :mad: :confused:

14. JNygard

If it were me I would order the Poly if your in no hurry. Might as well start beefing it up if your putting alot of torque down.

15. JNygard

karmannghia, Need a little more info about your truck, such as lift, body style.

Most likely u-joint are failing due to drive line out of balance, or excessive angle on the u-joints.

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Running a mixture of poly and rubber engine/tranny mounts is generally not recommended...people have broken the adapters while running a mismatched setup.

17. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I thought you weren't suppose to change to poly tranny mounts without also changing to poly motor mounts. Something about having a more rigid mount on one end and a softer mount on the other created stresses and broke something.

18. PhoenixZorn

just bought the OE replacement tranny mount from AutoZone... I'll be puting it on tonight if I have time before dark... otherwise, tomorrow morning will have to do. Any suggestions other than what was already said about removing old mount, jacking up tranny, and attaching new mount? Any idea if the bolts require a certain amount of torque, or can I use a standard socket and not worry about it coming apart?

19. karmannghia

karmannghia Registered Member

right now my truck is just stock, The only thing that I have are 32" BFG Mudders. I put a NEW drive line in then drove it like little miss grandma. Nothing more that my mom's saturn goes through. I amgoing to be going to the drive line shop tomorrow and get it fixed, just trying to get a little heads up or tell him what would be better then what I have now. I need my truck runnin soundly ASAP.
    LGB

20. PhoenixZorn

So, am I safe with a broken tranny mount for 500 miles as long as I don't do anything stupid like try to race?? I mean, regular granny style shifting, rolling along at a decent pace, I only felt the thump when I really gave it the heavy foot... I just don't want my torque to rip the whole tranny out of the truck.