Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveline problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Unholy_Advocate, Sep 27, 2000.

1. Unholy_Advocate

Unholy_Advocate Registered Member

I have a 4" Rancho lift on my 84 Blazer and lately it has been throwing the driveline and breaking the transfer-case. The Rancho kit came with 1" t-case drop spacers. I was told my problem would be fixed if i was to drop it another 2". Has anyone ever had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Where is it breaking your transfer at and how? Which drive shaft is tossing?

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. Unholy_Advocate

It is throwing the rear driveshaft. I know it isn't out of balance because i just had it balanced. Most of the time it breaks the tailshaft housing but this last time it broke the rear part of the case as well. The t-case is a NP208C.

4. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I had the same set up awhile back (84' 4"lift 1" tcase space and 208) that you have now and broke the rear of the housing and the extension in half, but under extremly severe conditions and 300lbs of torque. I never had any problems under normal conditions. Are you breaking your rear u-joint? Have you checked to make sure your tcase isn't loose?

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. Unholy_Advocate

It is breaking the rear u-joint. The t-case is bolted down tight.

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

It sounds like when you break your u-joint then it throws your drive shaft causing the your 208 to break which will happen almost everytime becuase the 208 is aluminum. Your problem isnt your tcase it's in the rear end. Did you by any chance put in the 2degree shim in between your axle and leafs? You might have something tweaked out in the back causing your u-joint to break.

7. Unholy_Advocate

Yes, there is the 2 degree shim installed as well.

8. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

My buddy kept snapping the rear u-joint on a ramcharger with a 6"lift. We fixed it by spinning the axle housing and angling the pumpkin up, then welded the housing to the pumpkin and haven't snapped the rear u-joint since.

9. Unholy_Advocate

One thing i've noticed while i had it up on a lift was that the driveshaft twists badly when accelorating. It appears to me that the front u-joint angle is too steep and causes the rear u-joint to bind. I talked to a guy that said he fixed this problem by putting a 3" t-case drop on his Jimmy and hasn't had it happen since. I'm going to try that tomorrow. if that doesn't work, I'll try what you suggested.

There's no replacement for displacement.

10. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Is this happening while 4wheel'n or just driving down the road? Try to figure out why your u-joint is breaking. I dont think it is caused by your lift unless maybe your u-bolts have loosened up on you, but that's a long shot cause there is a have 1/2" stud holding the housing and leafs togather. Hve you checked to see if you have a crack in you rear yolk causing the u-joint to come apart do to stress?

11. Unholy_Advocate

This happens during daily driving. Right now i have my front driveshaft off because I am replacing the ring and pinion in the front diff. I took my Blazer in and had it checked for anything that could be causing this and the yoke is one of the things that checked out ok.

12. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Post deleted by 4GUNZ4X4Z

13. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

On dodges the housing tubes your are pressed into the pumpkin making it way easier to do this. But if you do try this anyways its alot of work and not very much fun. Use it as a last resort. and only if your convinced that why your u-joint is breaking.

14. Unholy_Advocate

I don't work on my Blazer to have fun anymore. Ever since the first broken tailshaft housing, all hell's broke loose and it's become a constant headache. I just want to get it from for throwing the driveshaft for more than a day so I can sell it and start fresh with a different Blazer.

15. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

How much as is?

16. Unholy_Advocate

with everything i've put into it so far, it is probably worth $6500. and i have some more work to do to it before i sell it. it has a fresh rebuilt TH350, a fresh rebuilt NP208C, 7,000 miles on a rebuilt 350, 33x12.5 BF Goodrich Muddies, Outlaw I alluminum wheels (I can't find anymore anywhere), new carpeting, and the 4" Rancho lift

17. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

With that much into I'd find out what is wrong with it and keep it. Just 1 more thing to fix and you've made it. The frustation will be worth it especially if you've gone this far.

18. Unholy_Advocate

After the last time it threw the driveline i just went to the local salvage yard and picked up a rebuilt t-case and threw it in the back of the Blazer and let it sit there til i can figure out how to remedy this entire driveline problem

19. Unholy_Advocate

Not to mention I have an 84 GMC High Sierra that i have to maintain at the same time. My wallet is getting thin building both of these trucks up. I can only afford 2 of my three toys as of now. So I look at it this way, sell my Camaro (which is running perfect), or sell my Blazer which is nickel and dimeing me to bankruptcy? The answer is obvious

20. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

You got my stomach in knots. Dont mean to laugh but I've been in the same boat. I feel for ya.