Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveline question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Dec 28, 2003.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I still have the stock rear shaft and I am about to do something with it. If I just lengthened my stock shaft...are the stock u-joints strong enough for only 35" boggers and a fair amount of power pushing it? I don't do rocks at all and am almost exclusivly mud with the accasional snow and dirt. I also like to pull things and need something that will handle spinning the tires on pavement while in low range. I have never had much of a problem with these F/R shafts before (except breaking a 10B yoke). Should I just fork out the money for an all new 1350 shaft? Reason I am asking is because I have new u-joints and it's only $100 bucks to have my shaft lengthened and $225 for a new 1350 shaft and I don't have a lot of extra cash right now. Also would my front shaft be fine after being lengthened as far as strength? thanks /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I ran 35 BFG MTs for quite some time in locked 10 bolts with power from a 300+ HP 350 and never lost a u-joint. I never did rocks in that setup, mostly trail running and some mud. Pick up almost any copy of 4 Wheeler mag published in the last couple of years and you can find a pic of my rig running through the mud.

Does this mean yours won't go? Nah. But I have also found them very easy to change when they do. You can spend big bucks on fancy ones, or go to your local Autozone and pick up one for around $15 with a lifetime warranty. Spend you some money and get a 3-in-1 ball joint replacement tool, too (I think it would be through Harbor freight). Runs around $40. Works great at pressing out u-joints while on the trail. I can swap out a joint nowadays with this tool in under 15 minutes (provided I don't drop them dern needle bearings).

3. rjfguitar

I was thinking the same thing, I have put my stock one through some serious abuse and it has lasted so I think I will just have it lengthened.

You are in 4wheeler...what should I look for? I'm guessing your in an add if you've been in almost every issue for a while.

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Look for an ad for advertising in four wheeler magazine. Some of them have an old bronco, but in all but one issue for the past 2 years you can find one with my rig. It is a frontal shot of me flying through a mud pit. Back then I was still sporting a roof rack with 4 lights as well as a tube front bumper with an old tow strap tied around it.

5. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Look for an ad for advertising in four wheeler magazine. Some of them have an old bronco, but in all but one issue for the past 2 years you can find one with my rig. It is a frontal shot of me flying through a mud pit. Back then I was still sporting a roof rack with 4 lights as well as a tube front bumper with an old tow strap tied around it.

[/ QUOTE ]I know what your talking about. I love that shot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I would like to be in an add... what did you have to do?