Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveline questions -tech info

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by drivelineman, Sep 2, 2000.

1. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

if any one has a driveline question - or problem let me know i'll be happy to help out - vibrations? need more angle out of your system - ? jesse

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Hey!
    I would like to bether understand re-gearing of the axels. And if that will take some of the stress off when running bigger tires aswell as general performance.
    I have 3" lift now, and room for 33 12,5 BFG's. I imagine the 10 bolts will be fine for the 33's But I would like something "meaner" for summer (35 14,5?). The 33's are for winther.
    I am not sure either about what trucks to look for when looking for axels. Suburban's maybe? early 80's Blazers? or is that 12 bolts, what about the gears stock in these?
    If I could be educated about these choices it would be great.

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

3. K5-Kowboy

K5-Kowboy Registered Member

I'm with you Espen...I could use a good education on these as well...

[​IMG]<font color=blue> K-5 Kowboy </font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You want to know what vehicles have what axles?
    73-79 k10s will have dana44/corp12 (6lugs)
    80-87 k10s will have 10bolt/10bolt, but you will find some that still have the dana un till 81. Phasing them out, I guess.
    73-79 k20s will have dana44/14bFF (8lugs)
    80-87 k20s will have 10bolt/14bSF, but again some dana 44;s up front. I think some HD k20s of these years came with 14BFF.
    All of these axles will bolt right up to any k5, k10, or k20 without relocating any mounts. Direct bolt in.
    K30's have the dana60 and 14bFF. The dana60 will bolt onto any k5-20, but the 14bFF will have the mounts in the wrong place so get the 14bolt from a k20 - they are very cheap.
    The big question is whether to stick with 6-lug or commit to 8-lug.
    -- Mike

To tell what axle you are looking at, there are some guidelines.
    Front axles:
    Corp. 10-bolt - has rounded diff cover. Looks just like Dana44 except for this.
    Dana 44 - Has bigger hump on diff cover for the ring gear. Again, looks just like a corp 10-bolt except for this.
    Dana 60 - Well, for one thing it's a lot bigger than most front axles you will see in a junkyard. For another, the guy will probably want at least $500 for it if he knows what it is. A key is to look for the kingnut. Dana44s and 10bolts do not have these. They look totally different. It is pretty easy to spot.
    Rear Axles:
    10bolt - Has ten bolts to hold diff cover on. Usually accompanies by a 10bolt up front.
    12bolt. Has 12 bolts. Only one that does.
    14bolt Semi-Floating - Has 14 bolts, but the hub (center of wheel) does NOT have 8 bolts holding the axle flange in. The hub looks like a 12bolt or 10 bolt. No bolts there except for lugnuts.
    14bolt Full-floating - has 14 bolts, but the hub has 8 bolts holding the axle flange in place. 8 lugnuts AND 8 bolts holding the axle.

Not sure what k5's have - but since this is a k5 site, someone knows for sure.

5. drivelineman

i think you will be okay with your 33's and stock axles - you might want to step up to a 3:73 or 4:11 ratio - and possibly a possi front and rear - a manual trans rig will have a lower more desirable ratio if your looking for used - an earlier unit might be nicer- 76-down -dana 44 - 12 bolt - nice looking rig by the way - i can send a pic of my rig if you want - e mail forwhlr@saber.net - jesse - or jesse.coloradok5.com -almost done -

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Thank's.
    I'l save this information. It was wery helpfull. Problem is that in Norway the used k10,20,30 trucks are even rarer than the blazer. I am conserned about expensive axel-breakage, so thats why I am thinking about re -gearing the ones I have. Adding the possi, what does that do?. Does it eliminate locking the rear wheels when turning hard on asphalt? And how does one go about changing the gears.

Does running lighter gears help the axel in turning bigger tires?(reduce the stress, causing the breakage)

Opened upp a hole can of questions now!!

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

7. drivelineman

a possi is a nice way to gain traction - there not brutal - they do help though - a lower gear helps your rig pull out of the hole better- but it does not help your top end so don't go too low - 4:56 might be a bit much for you- reducing stress ? - might want to go to a 2wd and no lift - you can fiqure your going to do more main. on your rig - how's the weather in norway?- setting up your gears might be a challenge - the rear is not so bad - the front is a bit more involved - e mail me for more info- forwhlr@saber.net - jesse

8. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status