Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveline/U-joint question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zepplin, Nov 9, 2000.

1. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if any parts stores stock a u-joint that has a small u-joint size, that fits a rear driveshaft for a Blazer and a large u-joint size that would fit a 14ff rear end. The u-joint has different sizes caps on the same u-joint. Plus the 14 bolt size would probably be longer also.

I want to put this rear axle in my blazer but I just got a new driveshaft made in the summer and I want to see if I could just swap u-joints. I also have the matching 3/ton front axle already in and I want to have the same gear ratios so I can use 4 wheel drive in the winter. Also, I know the pinion is longer than the 12 bolt but, how much longer will it be? I have a slip-yoke driveshaft but will this bottom out the driveshaft? I hope this makes sense, I don't know of a better way to describe it. Thanks!

Communication Breakdown
    74 Blazer
    Zeppelin

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Yes they do make u-joints for mixed applications ie:1/2 ton driveshaft to 1 ton rearend. Yours is different but the Napa # for a 1990 1/2 ton (with internal c-clips)to a 1 ton external clips is #447. Any drivetrain shop should be able to match the application.

I installed my FF 14 bolt last night and the driveshaft was only changed maybe an inch at the slip yoke. Hope this helps, DP

3. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. There goes my nice relaxing Thanksgiving vacation! But, at least I will have 4 wheel drive again.

Communication Breakdown
    74 Blazer
    Zeppelin