Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveline vibration -- Pinion angle?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Dec 1, 2002.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Can you get driveline vibration from the pinion angle being too straight? Theres no bend where my pinion meets the rear shaft because of spring settle. I know youre supposed to have at least a little angle. Mine doesnt... anyone know if this can cause vibration at low speeds?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The important peice of info missing in your post is whether you have a CV shaft or a regular one. </font color>

3. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem with vibes out back, and just read last night that both pinion's should be parallel to each other. but with the exception of the rear being 1 degree DOWN so as to compensate for axle rap.

My rear pinion is inline with the driveshaft, and the t-case is be no means at a high angle (suburban). but i heard that if you don't have a cv joint that both joints need to be at the same angle in order to cancel each other out..

also i heard sears carrys a cheap angle gauge. which is my next stop since i hate driveing around in front wheel drive /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Sorry, I have a CV at the T-Case end.

5. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

i'd say it's possible, but not for sure.

"also i heard sears carrys a cheap angle gauge."&lt;-- i didn't know this, if you find out, can you post the part #?? i need to get one for another vehicle, but it is about $80-150 or so, if i remember correctly.

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yes, with a CV you should have the pinion pointed down about 2 degrees, when you apply throttle, it will pull back up straight. double check your pinion U-Joint for wear just the same.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Just to clarify on Borrego's post, the pinion should be down 2 degrees from being directly inline with the driveshaft, not 2 degrees down from flat. Just wanted to make it perfectly clear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hmmm I think I heard that somewhere before.