Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveline vibration solved

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wheels, Dec 1, 2000.

1. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

After a complete overhaul of the old tired Blazer and a four inch lift, I started experiencing some vibration from the driveline. All new u-joints, rotated u-joint in yoke, raised the transfer case, dropped the transfer case, generous lubing, new dust seal on the slip joint, etc. I finally pulled the driveshaft out last night and took it to a drive shaft shop here in OKC this morning. I got it back this after noon and they lengthened it 1 and 3/4" and rebalanced it ($110.00 worth). Well fully expecting this not to cure the problem, I put it back in tonight and took it for a run around the country side. It was like driving a totally different vehicle. So I took full advantage of it and burnt up a half tank of gas. What a difference it made. Looks like after winter here, I'll pull the front shaft and have the same done to it. Any way, just thought I would pass this tidbit on, and don't forget that tube that transfers energy from the mouse/rat motor to the meats.

2. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Congratulations! One mystery solved. I need to get my slip yoke rebuilt and I think that will cause my problem, but I'll have to wait a while, the wife is getting tired of me spending money.

1/2 a tank of gas huh or did you say 20 - 30 miles. JK.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yeah I have been in the hunt for a vibration. I found in the process that my ball joints were shot. So I have replaced them. MAN, they are tight !!!! There is definatly no slop. Hope this is the cure for my vib. But as you said, totally expecting this not to fix the problem, I think I am going to have to do the same as you.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!
    http://"mccordhouse.freeservers.com"