Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveline vibration

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GMC4by4, Aug 14, 2000.

1. GMC4by4

GMC4by4 Registered Member

I just replaced the rear U-joint on my 89 Jimmy. Now the clunk is gone but the whole truck vibrates under acceleration. If the driveshaft is in 180 degrees opposite from where it was, will that cause the vibration? Also, the new U-joint felt a little tight -not too tight- could that also cause the vibration? Thanks.

-Rick

2. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

make sure the shaftls are aligned. they should'nt feel too tight.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

3. GMC4by4

Nyyef-

What do you mean by "aligned"? Which parts must be aligned? Please explain in more detail. Thanks.

-Rick

4. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

as you said, the shaft and the yolk have to be phased in. they should be stamped (a little stamp on the yolk and a similar one on the shaft) to indicate their alignment. but i have had 3 k5s, two were stamped and one wasnt. you mentioned that yours was rotated 180deg, rotate them back and try it out.
    in future the easy way is to mrk them up with something before you take them apart (i usually use white-out).

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

5. GMC4by4

Thanks for all the help guys. The problem turned out to be that when I put the driveshaft back in I didn't put the clips on the 2 pinion side caps of the U-joint. Whoever put my last U-joint in didn't put those clips on either so I didn't know they had to be there. Live and learn. My truck rides smooth as glass now- aside from the rumble of the duals! :)

-Rick