Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drivelineman or anyone who knows

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mybeast, Oct 17, 2000.

1. mybeast

mybeast Registered Member

I'm treating my 79 jimmy to a full driveline & suspension face lift, and i'm trying to get everything together so I can do it in 2 or 3 days. I'm swaping out the 10 & 12 bolt for a 14ff and dana 60 with 8 or 10 inches of lift, and 39.5" tires.. Is there a way to get the drive shafts done before I do the work, or will I have to take measurements. If it can be done a head of time ballpark figure, how much? opitions? (my truck is going to be huge!!)

When all else fails MASH the skinny pedal!

2. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Your safest bet is to install everything and then take the measurements. This will give you the correct lengths for the driveshafts and angles.

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

You're in luck. Since you are swapping to a 14 bolt and Dana 60 front, these diffs are larger and have more pinion "stick out" (for lack of a better term). I think you'll find that you need NO driveshaft mods in terms of length to accomodate the swap with that much lift. You will, however, require a special u joint that accomodates your 1/2 ton driveshaft and the 14 bolt's yoke. These are available at better driveline shops, just tell them the application. The front dana 60 yoke size is THE SAME as what you have now (1310 series). Good luck!

ken

4. mybeast

Ken,
    Thanks man.[​IMG] Thats great I plan on going to 1 ton shafts sooner or later, but for now I can put that money some where else.

5. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    You had it almost right, you just needed to type out "image" completely in the brackets.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

6. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Don't spend the money just yet! Your ride may be different, but when I put in an eight inch lift on my 72, I came up about two inches short on both drive shafts. I went to a local shop, and it only took a few minutes whip them up. These shafts were both brand new though. they cost about $250 each. The rear was up graded to 1350 joints for good measure. Good luck.

7. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

You will, however, require a special u joint that accomodates your 1/2 ton driveshaft and the 14 bolt's yoke. These are available at better driveline shops, just tell them the application.

Just in case you go this route... The NAPA part # for this u-joint is 447. They go for around $28.

<font color=red>~BigBurban</font color=red>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

8. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Or, your friendly neighborhood driveline shop, Neapco part # (I forget) for about $15. NAPA is SUCH a rip-off!!!

ken

9. mybeast

Thanks everyone I guess the smart thing to do would be to set the money aside and what till the lift and swap are done. Then again I've been called alot of thing, but smart doesn't come up to often.