Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driver door sagging!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UseYourBlinker, Feb 2, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

The driver door has started sagging really bad...so bad that the door is rubbing agianst the fender,and paint is starting to chip. Has anyone done this fix,and what did it consist of? Thanks in advance!

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>Just some Negitive Space..</a>

2. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

quit using it to jump into your truck..lol, jk[​IMG]

[​IMG]Mash Out![​IMG]
    82 Blazer 1 Ton "Big Nasty"
    78 Jimmy 3/4 Ton
    <font color=red>"Red Dawg" </font color=red>

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

They just get metal fatigue after awhile, on my 74 my Bro( the cheese it together guy) took two 2X4's used one as a lever and the other as the fulcrum and just lifted it back up and bent it back into shape, but it could be just as simple as adjusting the hinges since you have an 84'

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The hinges use small brass bushings that seem to wear out quickly. I'd replace the bushings and hinge pins and then adjust the door so it closes nicely again. I would not wait to do this project, as you can see it can damage fender and door edges but it can cause the striker area to fatigue and crack as the door needs to be slammed harder and harder to close.

I've founmd replacement bushings and hinge parts at most parts stores. The last set I bought it cost me under $20 for both doors.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I just replaced the bushings on my driver's door today, it use to sag a lot but now it's fine. It was a piece of cake doing the work after I got the right bushings, First I got silver looking bushings from Help! that said GM on em but they didn't fit, then I got the brass ones and they fit.

----------------------------------
    80' GMC Jimmy 4x4, 350-TH350-NP205

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

when I put on my new door's.. we changed out the hinges as well- they were not sagging, BUT you can almost guarantee that after the new doors were on, they would... I'd have to say it was a PIA... I personally thought that swapping the glass in the doors was easier- even swapping the vent windows.... dont try to do it ourself, that door gets quite heavy very quickly..

Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If it just started sagging, and you haven't adjusted it, chances are a new hinge and bushing will completely solve the problem, without adjusting the door. At least thats easy enough to do, remove the bolts holding the hinge to the door (tougher if its PW/PDL) then cut the pins and replace them. THAT is easy.

If you actually have to realign the door, it will take some time. However, the time spent fixing the hinges even the long way, is still less than fixing a striker bolt that has ripped the door frame, or hinge reinforcing plates that have pulled through the door.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?