Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driver side reduced steering

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by madmike, Apr 9, 2002.

1. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for comments/opinions on this. I have a 1980 1/2t truck with 10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear, and I installed a 6" BDS spring lift on it last fall. The truck previously had a 4" lift on it, so I retained the proper (for 4" lift, but same p/n for 6") steering arm on the knuckle. After the lift was installed, I had it realigned. With the 4" lift, my turning radius was equal on left and right hand turns. Now, with 6" of lift, I cannot make left turns as well as right. I can't stand it, and in heavy traffic (my truck's a daily driver also), it can be dangerous because sometimes I can't make a turn that I knew I could previously. My questions are: should I consider the addition of a dropped drag link or different pitman arm?

In the next couple of months I plan on installing my Dana 60/14bff combo. I have read and understand that crossover steering will easily correct that problem, but at the expense of a little more bumpsteer. I use my truck as a daily driver mainly, but I really want to get into more serious fourwheeling with it. I've also read a lot of posts on Death Wobble, which has me mildly concerned, because with the luck I have, I'll probably swap all this 1/2t crap out and get 1 ton DW, which I can't have on something I use every day. Is the crossover steering gonna be worth the expense and effort? I have 4:10 gears and plan on running 36" radial super swampers, if that helps. And no, my axle combo ain't for sale!

2. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

Sounds like you have a 4" raised steering arm, that’s what you want. But now you should add a 2" drop pitman arm. While replacing the Pitman arm you should also re center the steering

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

adjust your draglink length until it steers equally both directions