Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driver's door window popping out of track -- how to fix?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tungsten, Jan 9, 2004.

1. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

Driver\'s door window popping out of track -- how to fix?

Seems that the driver's door window in my K5 is popping out of the track when I roll it down. It's a bear to get it rolled back up when this happens, and usually results in me having to cycle it up and down a few times and then finally it pops back into place and comes up with ease.

It's a manual crank window. Not electric.

Any idea what I need to do to fix this? I figure I'll pull the beast into the garage this weekend (out of the single digit temps outside) and work on it some. It's really pissing me off since I have to actually get out and walk into McDonalds to get my super-sized value meal with Diet Coke and ice cream cone.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. greybeard

greybeard Registered Member

Re: Driver\'s door window popping out of track -- how to fix?

Yes, I had the same problem. It turned out that the track the glass rides is was worn out down at the bottom. I went ahead and replaced it in both doors. It was a pretty easy fix.

3. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, I had the same problem. It turned out that the track the glass rides is was worn out down at the bottom. I went ahead and replaced it in both doors. It was a pretty easy fix.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good reason to visit a junk yard soon and see if I can find some parts! (any reason to visit the junk yard is a good one in my book)

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem. Here we use windows about 2 1/2 months a year. I just roll it up and pop, or slam, it back on the track. After about 15 runs at this the track is so worn that the window fall back on as easily as it falls off. This is probably not the answer you wanted so here is a better one. Go to a junk yard or call LMC and spend a good weekend replacing it.

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

JC whitney sells the window track flocking for our trucks. It's kinda expensive but If you go to the junkyard you'll probably get something that is almost as wore out as what you got. Ususally when you pull them out they crack anyway.

6. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Take off the door panel, the track that the window slides in is bolted to the door at the front and back of the door. Loosen the bolt that holds the track at the back of the door and smoosh the track forward a little and then retighten the bolt. Its pretty simple once you take the door panel off.

Dont flame me, this isn't directed at only you, but sometimes I wonder if people just post these ??? without even attempting to fix it on there own first.

bmxbryant9 likes this.
  7. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Dont flame me, this isn't directed at only you, but sometimes I wonder if people just post these ??? without even attempting to fix it on there own first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you asked that I not flame you -- and I'm not -- but I've been active on web forums for years now. I run a highly successful forum of my own, in fact.

The only thing we generally ask of people on other forums is that they please just use the search feature before posting a question that may have been asked a thousand times before. I did that here and did not see anything that immediately matched my question, so I posted it.

I'm an engineer by education and trade. I like to research things before I just dive headlong into them only later to find out that I could have saved myself a lot of time and anguish by planning my work out ahead of time.

Along those lines, I like to ask questions of people who have been there and done it before. I wanted to know if there was anything in particular that commonly goes wrong with the window mechanisms in these trucks so that I could be aware of any tips or tricks before just "attempting to fix it on my own first".

My time is precious. I don't have time to go outside, dick around in single-digit temperatures, break something on the truck and THEN come back here and ask questions. Chances are, if I had done it that way, someone other than yourself would have reprimanded me on the foolish act of doing-first and asking-later.

So there's really no satisfying some people on the Internet. I understand that and am comfortable with it.

I appreciate the information you gave me in the first paragraph of your reply and will take it to heart when I go outside to work on the truck. A truck that I've only owned for the past 2 months and which I am only now beginning to restore, btw. So color me a newbie.

But you really might want to think about everything else I've said the next time someone asks a question to which the answer seems obvious to you. Odds are, the only reason the answer is obvious to you at the time is because you've already been down that road and know what is unknown to that person.

Give us neophyte Blazer fans a break when we ask for help. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

Preach it brother! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I am the same as you. Research and ask questions first then try it out... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Ditto on the cold too. There are flurries outside and I am out there replacing my alternator...

9. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ditto on the cold too. There are flurries outside and I am out there replacing my alternator...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just freaking miserable outside today. I just replaced the coil packs on my Mustang a few moments ago in the garage and am still kicking myself for not getting a kerosene heater during the summer months. They're a lot cheaper then! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif