Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drivers seat reclines a bit TOO much...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MaxPF, Apr 29, 2007.

1. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

I crawled up under my ride, and what did I find:
    [​IMG]

That's one of the rear nut plates for the drivers seat bracket :eek1: The other was hidden under the old cat con heat shield. When I got the heat shield out of the way it wasn't pretty:
    [​IMG]

Here's some top side views:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not good :doah: I got the carpet and padding out of the way and welded up the cracks as best I could from underneath. Then I put a piece of 1/4" thick 4" wide plate on the top side as reinforcement. It's solid as a rock now, although I kinda miss the suspension seat feel :D

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thats from too many sodas , and having a stock seat :wink1: I have different seats and through bolts with plate on interior side , and washers on underside .

My seat ain't pulling through :pimp:

3. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

why would you reinforce from the top? THat way, just your welds are keeping it from pulling up. If you reinforced from teh bottom, the welds/metal floor pan will keep it from pulling up. THe whole plate woudl have to rip through the floor if mounted underneath, but your way the welds could just give up....

4. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

The seat didn't pull up, it pushed down through the floor, That's why it was leaning way back.

5. runamok151

runamok151 1 ton status Premium Member

x2
    i had exactly the same thing when i bought mine. the previous owner actually stuck a long socket between the seat frame and torn floor to lift up the back seat. it was actually sitting on top of the heat shield. fix it now or it will only get worse and eventually you'll have this.

[​IMG]

6. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

got it, i figured the front mount pulled up, rather than th rear going down.

7. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

Mine should hold up fine now with the 1/4" thick plate spreading the load. The only prob is that the back of the seat sits a bit high now, and I don't like it. I plan on making more modifications in the near future...