Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drivers Seat (STOCK) Won't Slide back very far.... *WITH PICS*

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Drivers Seat (STOCK) Won\'t Slide back very far.... *WITH PICS*

OK, remember this thread from a while ago? Well now I have some pics and a few disoveries, but still no solution. Take a look:

Side view of seat (showing gap in back)

[​IMG]

Another angle showing the gap:

[​IMG]

A shot of the seat bracket and mounting position on floor:

[​IMG]

Shot of the bracket on the Left Side:

[​IMG]

Same Bracket, but this time the right side:

[​IMG]

The only revelation I've had so far was noticing that the mechanisms that acutally "unlatch" to allow the seat to move forward or back (2 small pieces of flat steel) were totally twisted! I removed them and straightened them out, filed down the sharp edges and re-installed. I also noticed that the small round steel bar that connects the two sides together was also "non-straight" and so that got fixed too.

After re-installing the seat, the difference in "ease of adjustment" was dramatic (as you might expect), but the seat STILL won't go any further back than what's in the pics above. I've checked the "teeth" on the sliders, and I'm in the rearmost set....so that's ALL the seat CAN do...

Anyway, I'm still looking for an explanation for why this is true, or at least to have you guys say "Yep Greg, that looks JUST like how mine is/works"

Comments?

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Re: Drivers Seat (STOCK) Won\'t Slide back very far.... *WITH PICS*

Yep Greg, that looks JUST like how mine is/works.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifNo seriously,mine only goes back as far as what you pictured.
    Good pic's by the way.

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Greg what are you worried about? It's not like you're a basketball star. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Also what did you think of my old '70 when Mike drove it over?

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm NOT a basketball star.....that's the point. I'm a "stubby legged" guy who can't even get the seat far enough back to feel comfortable.... it makes no sense to me how the LARGE guys do it.

BTW -> Zakk was just over here helping me bleed the brakes (he did the pedal pushing).....he climbed in my truck and said "What's up with the seat being so close?"

So my quest for answers continues......

ps. The 1st Gen looks like a good runner. I don't know why you never wheeled it with us. MJF is already making plans for it.....like I knew he would! (I'm a bad influence! )

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I went over to Mike's last night to swap pinks and saw it for the first time with his 35"s on it and wondered why I didn't just put some of them on it and go like I had planed on. But it wasn't till I'd changed the crappy plugs that were in it and found most of my backfiring etc went away.

6. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

im six foot tall so the rearmost spot was not good for me either.i just took out the release mechanism and am going to weld the seat to the rearmost position.it goes back almost touching the raised section on the bed.i can get a pic tomorrow and post it if you want.i still gotta make the welds though.now that i moved it it is much more comfy.it just wont be able to move forward anymore.

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Greg,
    That’s why I took my stock seats out and put in some buckets that recline, I can lay it back enough to sleep in it. The backs are the same height as the stocks seats and have a head rest I remove when the top is off. They even move about 2-3 inches more then the stock ones.

8. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

hey, my seats are like that, too. I think it's because these trucks are so old that the average height of the average american was 2 inches less than it is today...seriously, I did all the stuff you described, and cannot get enough leg room either, so we definitely have a generalized issue here.

9. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Don't know that I have an answer for ya greg but if I remember right on mine there is some kind of spring retainer mounted on the forward face of the step behind the seat. as if something was mounted there originaly.

I"m almost 6' and mine has plenty of room, don't know, maybe you got the short person option on that truck, check your glove box door /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

That *looks* very much like mine, but my front seat will go farther back than where yours goes if I set the adjuster all the way back (the link rod between the two sides is missing, so I have to remove the seat to adjust it fore/aft). I have it set at the rear most setting and the rear part of the seat bottom is apx. 2" in front of the raised part of the bed.

FWIW, I'm 6'1" and I have plenty of room to clutch, brake, etc. My buddy with the red '72 is 6'3" and doesn't have ny problems driving my Blazer either (he has Corbeaus in his Blazer and he can adjust them back into the bed of the Blazer if he so chooses).

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Also what did you think of my old '70 when Mike drove it over?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I got pics of that thing in action the other day. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Did Mike drive it over to FR? I thought he was taking the PU and his dirt bike. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Did Mike drive it over to FR? I thought he was taking the PU and his dirt bike.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yup.

14. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

To think all he did was put his 35"s on it. And pull the top off, though he should have put the poly body mounts in before FR. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif