Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drivers side door droop.?

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by k5 krawler 50, May 29, 2004.

1. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

Hey, my drivers side door droops down when its opened, and when its closed it doesnt wobble, but the angle of the door doesnt line up with the windshield frame. How do you fix this with out spending a hole lot of money? Thanks.
    Cory.

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

When the door is open, can you grab the end of it and wiggle it up and down? If you can then the door bushings are worn out. You should be able to get bushing repair kits from just about any parts store. It's a cheap fix too.

3. k5 krawler 50

yea i can wiggle it up and down. So i can get bushings at like napa, and that will fix the alignment of the door when its closed to right? Thanks.

4. k5 krawler 50

oh yea.. i can only wiggle it up and down when its open. You prolly knew that but i just wanted to mention it.

5. spearchucker

I've seen them at the Napa that I go to. I don't remember the exact price, but it won't break the bank. The easiest way would be to unbolt the door and replace the bushings. If you have manual windows/door locks then no problem, but it you have power doors then it's a pain. Maybe someone who's done this will have 'the trick' to make it simpler. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I can't tell you if it will fix your alignment problem, but do this fix first since it needs to be done and then we can go from there. The only reason that the door would be out of alignment other than the bushings is if the door has been removed previously.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I bought the parts in the "Help!" section at Pep Boys for our '94 Sub. Cost $10 for a new pin and two new bushings. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Cost me $20 because I replaced both the upper and lower pins. But the door now lines up perfectly and closes very easily. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The only PITA is that it's damn near impossible to put the little coil spring back in the upper hinge without a special tool. The spring operates the detents that hold the door open for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif But that may not even be an issue with the earlier hinges. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. k5 krawler 50

Alright thanks guys, i appreciate the help. Thanks again.
    Cory

8. spearchucker

Did that fix the droop and alignment problem? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

9. k5 krawler 50

Havent done it yet, just went and got the kit to do it so next weekend i will prolly do it, and i will let you know.

10. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

A couple of tips for doing the job - use a marker to mark the position of the hinges before you remove them - you will want to have them in the same spot when you reassemble. Secondly, have another person there to help you, hold the door while removing and reinstalling. Should be about 30 minutes per door, depending on how hard it is to remove the old pins from the hinges. You can either use a BFH or cut them in half to remove. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

11. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

just do 1 hinge at a time, that way your alingment wont get messed up as much.

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I went through the same thing with the doors on my '74. The pins and bushings were bad. I spent $50 at NAPA getting all the parts I needed just to have them wear out and break within 6 months. Not to mention that the doors still wiggled a little bit even with all new NAPA hardward /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The day the pins on my pass. side door broke (YES BOTH OF THEM)and it almost F*KING FELL OFF WHILE I WAS DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD!!! I decided to check the dealer (I usually treat them like I would a 1/2 toothed crack whore...run far..run fast...run till you can't run anymore!). It was $40 for the kit to do all the hinges with new pins and bushings. They were cheaper and had the kit on the shelf. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I had to wait a week to get my stuff from NAPA /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Anyway, they are friggin SOLID now and have been trouble free for more than 6 months. IMO I'd check the dealer prices and get the OEM stuff before I went back to NAPA. Their hinge stuff is CRAP! Oh yea, the OEM hinge kit makes it REAL easy to install the top hinges in upside down so you can do quick door removal too! If anyone is intersted, i can snap pics of what I did to the top hinge pins. Works like a charm! Nice 'n tight with the doors on, doors line up perfect..yet still easy to take 'em out a run doorless!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

13. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Shane, will you take pics of your setup pleeeease? I'd like to have quickly removable doors. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

No problemo! I'll snap pics and post them up by tomorrow. I need to borrow the digi-cam from work tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. k5 krawler 50

Alright sweet, thanks for all the help, and i would like to see some pix too. Thanks again everyone.
    Cory.

16. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I wanna see too! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I was going to borrow the digi-cam from work today, but I didn't go in. I caught my son's flu. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Gimme a couple days to get the pics up for you. I haven't forgotten. sorry.