Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drivers side mirror

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, Dec 19, 2001.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Dumb post.. My drivers side mirror will not stay still. When I slam my door it moves, when I sit at 70 on the freeway it moves. Is there anything I can do without a total door panel removal? I'm in AK at the min, it's too cold to spend anytime outside (My garage is full of kiddies xmas pressies) I tried running a bead of glue around the base (With a hot glue gun) but it had set before it even touched the metal, an easy fix anybody?

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Call up L M C Truck and order a new one! I looked at your website, the PN for your model is 38-5832, and the price is $24.95. Nice and shiney and new... what else can a man ask for in a mirror? [​IMG]

L M C Truck's number is 800-222-5664.

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by KRAZIE87K5 on 12/19/01 03:57 PM.</FONT></P>

3. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

But that's a total iside door panel stripdown, right? I was looking for an answer like hook a rubber band around it and blah blah..........

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So its not just the head that moves, its the whole thing?

GM used "threaded plastic/steel" rivets to bolt the mirrors to the doors, they sometimes get stripped out. if the "nuts" are stripped out, you have to pull the door panel off. (not hard) You can use a regular nut and bolt to fix any stripped "riv-nut" problems, you just have to go in from the inside of the door.

If its JUST the head thats moving, thats another easy fix.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

5. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

The tubular right angle bend is moving, mirror on one end, and the other end goes into the base mounted on the door, the whole arm is moving, obviously it needs tightened, I was just looking for a quickie fix

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ahh, in that case, easy

Pop off the cover (t-10 or t-15 torx) and locate the two screws that clmap the arm on the base. If the arm is loose, but the bolts are tight, don't try tightening them further, they will just strip out. There is supposed to be a plastic sleeve around the arm, which allows the clamp to hold it, yet still move when you try to adjust it. If thats gone, I'd sugeest cutting a bicycle tube in half, and trying that instead. Maybe lightly grease it, I imagine the rubber will grip much better than the plastic.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

7. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Most excellent.! Worked totally sweet. THANKYOU..I thought it was a major pain to tighten, I didn't even think to look to see if the mount had a cover to pop off. Thanks again

8. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

Great advice dyeager535, I have had the same problem with my pass side for some time now, I will try that, look you have already helped two people, thanks a million, it was getting really annoying.
    Sergio

Check out my new website. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com>http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com</a>