Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drivers side seatbelt discontinued

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bighorn, Jun 13, 2001.

1. bighorn

bighorn Registered Member

I've just recently been informed, after my seatbelt bit it, that the assembly has been discontinued. I have not had any success finding one in a junkyard here in Austin or online. Does anyone know of any easy retrofit models or where to find a replacement. It's becoming harder to dodge the cops not to mention I would like to stay IN the vehicle should I have an accident. GM part# 15617341 for an 88 Blazer.

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

You can get retractable ones from JCWhitney for like $70 or $80. Non retractable for a lot less. They're pretty much the same ones as what you had...they'll bolt right in.
    Boss

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

go to salesco.com they have all kinds of weird stuff but they carry several types of belts.

4. bighorn

Thanks for the info guys. Now, it's just wait for shipping......Come on, is it here yet! I guess I could show the cops my reciept if I get pulled over.

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I had the same issue, but was able to repair my driver's side belt. I did purchase a belt from SalesCo., I won't bad mouth them as I have heard positive things here about them, but my luck with them was not good. The grey belt I got had two problems, the upper point of attachment ended up below my shoulder, and the retractor would only work once in every 300 pulls. The belts from JC Whitney look just like the SalesCo belts.

There is one other option. Go to a local junkyard and see if they have internet connections and can locate nationally. I do know there is one set of grey belts for a '91 Blazer in the West End Salvage Yard in Nashville.

Derf00
    http://www.derf00.coloradok5.com
    "Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in a more inaccessible place."

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Hello fellow Austinite!

I called Henna Chevrolet( North I-35 832-2327) and they said that they can get black seat belt assemblies for about $120! [​IMG] I'm going to try salesco first....

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "The longer you wait in line, the greater the liklihood that you are standing in the wrong line." [​IMG]

7. bighorn

I ordered a Navy JC Whitley belt for $109. Should be here next week. I'll let you guys know if it works out. I looked at the salesco belt, but they didn't look as robust as the Whitley belt. I didn't have any luck with national junkyard or discontinued internet parts searches. I've got my fingers crossed.

Happy trails.

8. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

First off was it a manufactures defect on the seat belt that caused it to mess up.. i.e. it just stoped working, no tears or rips in it... if so then you can go back to the dealership and it is under warranty no matter how old the car is... seat belts are a safety issue and they have to cover them unless the part shows abbuse above normal wear and tear... I had a car that the rear seat belts would lock up on and not release unless you messed with them for about 10 min or so... it was a 87 and in 99 i took it to a dealer and they replaced them for free under warranty because of the safety issue... So even though they have discontinued them they can do something if it is a manufactures defect... otherwise they have to look at lawsuite if something happens... so in the long run it is just cheaper for them to replace it then go to court over it... just thought i would let you know..

Prembird

If it aint loud, Then turn it up !!!

9. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Prembird,

Don't mean to dispute your word, but seat belts are 3yrs 36,000 mi. I just got that info from my local Chevy dealer.

Derf00
    http://www.derf00.coloradok5.com
    "Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in a more inaccessible place."