Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drivers side small front window smashed.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, Jun 7, 2002.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Just got back from a 10 day vacation, and was po'd to find the window smashed on my truck in the driveway. I asked some of the local neighbourhood kids about it and they said they had seen the police at my truck while I was gone. I called the police records department, and they said yes, they had been called out a week earlier after a report of vehicle vandalism at my address, I told them the local kids seem to think that the police had caught the person that smashed my window. The records woman said, she couldn't tell me that, and if they had caught anyone, they couldn't tell me a name, as they'd to respect their privacy.! I said what about MY privacy? My property. So, she suggested putting it thru my insurance.! I sure would have liked a word with his parents.!!!!!Whats the cheapest fix if i do it myself? A piece of glass, or a whole side vent window/frame etc? The reamins of the glass look like it's glued into the frame, I don't mind going 'used'

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Without seeing it, it's hard to say. Try a local glass shop and see what they say. If you go new you will have to look up the vent window for an 87, which is now used for 73 and up, or the local Junk Yard. Good luck and sorry to hear about that.

3. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

In LMC for example, it's in the area of $230 for the whole unit...Eek, I'm gonna go out junkyard shopping today.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Driver's or Passenger's side? I have a few spares in decent condition that may come in handy if you can't find any locally.

5. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Drivers side, thanks, I'm in AK, and there is one place I know of in town has a yard full of older Chevy's only, pu's and blazers, but I'll let you know..Thanks

6. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

When I got my Blazer the passenger side vent window was smashed. My local junkyard had the whole unit with frame for $52.00. They pulled it. Took me less than an hour to swap out the window at home.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You talked to your neighbors? If someone called the cops, they must have seen it or known about it right? I'd be pissed too, sorry to hear about it.

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i got one for sale....
    pm me if interested.
    grant

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i got one for sale....
    pm me if interested.
    it just slides in and out. you can use window adhesive.
    grant

10. C5K5

C5K5 Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the vandalism. I have a similar problem. With my break, I have to replace the frame as well as the glass (the pin at the bottom of the frame with the spring that the window swivels on was still in place). I pulled the trim panel off and am frusterated with the little hole in the inside door sheet metal that I have to work through. JROSS said it took them less than an hour to replace it...any tips?
    I was lucky to locate a spare window assembly (minus the handle latch, which I'll swap from the old part) at a junkyard for $5.
    Thanks