Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drivers side vent window???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87_k5_silverado, Jul 28, 2004.

1. 87_k5_silverado

87_k5_silverado Registered Member

What do you guys think would be the easiest way to replace my vent window? I found one that will fit in the junkyard; now I just have to get that one out and put it in my truck. Oh yeah, this is my second attempt. My first attempt resulted in my busting the new one in a million pieces!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif so what is the trick?? Thanks in advance.

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I just pry the old one out of the frame with a screwdriver and use clear silicone to put the new one in. Be sure the frame channel is clean.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

take your time and be careful, make sure channel of the glass frame is cleaned of all old adhesive first and use silicone like previously said, silicone will allow slip and will seal when cured, i think at the factory they used the black urethane sealer for this, that way it would also match the black color of the frames,

its 5 bucks a normal size caulking type tube for the bvlack urethane at any glass shop, use it for windshields and such also and to hold back all weather stripping for door glass runs and so forth

i cant believe youre breaking a vent glass trying to install it, thats crazy they are hard to break,

take your time and clean everything and make sure lips of the frame are not pinched or anything anywhere, inspect closely, fine detail is everything and will prvent disasters when doing anything ever,.

good luck