Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drivers side window

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, Dec 3, 2001.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

My drivers side window switch (Elec) has quit working, also the switch for the pass side (On the drivers door) isn't working either, what do I check? I remember reading that there are connections to the left of the fuse panel? where exactly are these connections?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Pull the panel off the door and check the backside of the switch itself. On my Jimmy the wires had corroded and a couple actually broke off. I used some bare crimp on bullet connectors and replaced the bad wires that way. I just made sure to wrap each connector with electrical tape so they didn't short on each other.

I've also had the wires going to the window motor corrode and break off...an insulated female spade connector plugs right in to the motor.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

BTW, switches can be taken apart (carefully) and fixed. There are just small contacts that get corroded in there. I can't believe I hadn't taken one apart before, its so simple to do, and simple inside.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

4. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Save yourself the headache, you don't have to remove the door panels. The switches pop out. Clean them out, make sure your connection is tight and test them. I would also jump the terminals just to be sure it is the switches and not something else.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

5. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Agggggggggg, just smashed the switch to bits 'popping' it out

6. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Look on the bright side, you can replace the switches at your local Autozone style chain parts store in the "Help" section for like 10-15 bucks.

7. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

hahaha, I actually smashed the surround, the lip around the switch, looks BAD....It's -4F here at the min, guess it was a bit 'brittle'

8. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

okok, on the back of the switch there is a blue screw, with 'twist off' written on it, what is this? does this seperate the connecter from the switch or what?

9. SKI-'84K5

SKI-'84K5 1/2 ton status

yes twist it off and take off the cover plate, clean your terminals and slide it back together and see if it works, you can also use some wire and bypass the switch to see if it is the switch or wiring that is bad