Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driverside dshaft in K5, issues?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Nov 3, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am going D60 hunting tomorrow and who knows I may end up looking at Furd HPs. I know where I can get a 241 from an IFS rig for free so I'm not worried about the tcase aspect of it, the only issue I forsee is header clearance(I know my dshaft smacked the passenger side header), and maybe clutch problems? I have to go look at the K5 and start figuring it out. Anyone with a Driverside tcase have anything to add?

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can use the headers from a late 80s early 90s truck. These all had the left hand drop. That is what I run on my buggy and I can almost guarantee that my buggy has a closer engine to axle clearance than most trucks will ever be able to get without major mods. Stephen ended up running a set of JBA headers for some 90s truck on his K5 also. It should be fairly easy to do. Look at Summit racing for their "brand" headers for these trucks. Mine were from them and fairly inexpensive.
    As for the clearance to the clutch I don't have a clue. I have a TH350 and it clears I also had the ability to locate my axle very closly side to side since I have a track bar with the coils. Everything is close in there but it works with coils.