Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DRIVERSIDE TIEROD

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rh88k5, Sep 14, 2002.

1. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

Whats the deal with the drivers side tie rod? I've been told by several part stores that "they are obsolete". What do owners do when they wear out? Is there a place that sells them? I'm getting ready to replace passenger side ball joints, never done it before, seems fairly simple, any tips or secret tricks to make things go smooth would be appreciated.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

They are nuts. I can walk into Autozone and get one for a 75 you should not have any problems with a 88.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If your Blazer is an '88, tell the parts guy you need the tie rod ends to fit the "V-series" Blazer, not the "K-series." /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

To be less vague, my '88 as did my '83 has a 2 piece tie rod, with one adj. sleeve on pass. side the driverside "end" is about 52inches long, the parts store only has a 3 piece rod.

5. Grim-Reaper

Hay I had not thought about that. Good catch.

6. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

What are you talking about? Good catch?

7. Grim-Reaper

Your truck is not concidered a "K" series truck. When Gme started building the round body truck in 88 the Full size Blazer, Suburban, crew cab, 1 ton became a "V" designation.
    If they still can't pull it up have them look for an 87. Should be the same and 87 should come up as K5. I'm pretty sure that after about 82 they all ran the same tierod.

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

rh88k5 - Fill out your profile for us, please. Welcome to CK5!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

And just so you know, the phrase at the bottom of Grim's post is what's called a signature line. It appears in every post and is not directed at you. Mine says "still digging"...........See?
    \/