Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveshaft and crossmember don't like each other

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Oct 9, 2000.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

driveshaft and crossmember don\'t like each other

I have a 4" lift, and my t-case is dropped an inch. The cv is hitting the crossmember, not constantly, but every now and then when the k5 gets in a certain position offroad. I'm worried because that driveshaft doesn't look very strong to start with and every hit is weakening it. I would like some opinions on how to solve this stupid problem. And why have I never heard of anyone else having this problem? Thanks.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Re: driveshaft and crossmember don\'t like each other

Energy Suspension transmission mounts. I looked at that area on mine too and it was close with stock mounts. I upgraded to the ES mounts and it has cleared up some drivetrain noise and cut down on the flexing that the stock mounts show signs of.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Not sure where to find this but there is a 1 inch spacer plate that bolts inbetween the case and the CV that may correct your problem. It may cause you a second problem that you need to be aware of in that it may make the drive shaft to long and you may have to shorten the driveshaft.
    Another thing is did you correct the pinion angle when you lifted the truck? The pinion has to be in line and usualy reqires a 2.5 deg shim at the springs. this would raise the pinion and driveshaft and if it's missing may be the small amount that will get the shaft to clear.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I had the same problems when I put a 6 inch lift on my 86 Silverado. I simply had a friend make 1 inch spacers out of some metal stock. My truck had a NP208 and it has two bolts that attach the tranny mount to the cross member. I put the spacers under the tranny mount and then two other spacers between the frame and the cross member on both sides. Or you could stack washers but I wouldn't recommend it. I hope this helps. It will make more sense if you just poke your head under your Blazer and you will see what needs to be done.

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I am not positive, but I don't think my k5 has that shim. I'll have to go to 4x4 shop where it got lifted and bitch so they do it for free. If that doesn't work I'll look into the ES mounts and the spacer. Thanks guys.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas

6. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

I am having the same problems in my '87 w/ 4" lift and 36" Swampers. Usually it seems to hit when I am going up inclines. I was guessing that it was a failing tranny mount. Keep me informed if you are able to solve your problem.