Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft and transmission

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, May 10, 2000.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I knew before I lifted my Jimmy that I would probably need to do some drive train mods to accomadate the 6" lift. On my way to my truck after school, I noticed an exceptionally large puddle of tranny fluid on the ground. I look underneath and low and behold it is basically pouring out where the driveshaft comes out of the tranny. The driveshaft has been pulled out of the tranny quite a bit, so is this a bad thing if it's leaking there?? My guess is....yeah probably. Thanks for the help.

Alex
    Wichita, KS
    What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Man that sucks. I just got rid of a longer driveshaft that fit a 700r4. Basically the slip yoke goes up in there pretty far. It could be pulling at an angle (down) and causing the leak or could even be past the seal completely (most likely). Every time I pulled the shaft on my 87Jimmy some tranny fluid came pouring out. My guess for a fix would be a longer shaft. Also check the yoke for grooves worn in it from the seal. If you get a new shaft that would be the time to replace the slip yoke too. Good luck.

BIGJ

3. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I got a TH350 tranny. I would never use a 700R4. I have heard so much bad crap about them. I'm just so happy to have my truck lifted now, but for some reason I just can't keep it going. I'M OUTTA $$$$$!!!

Alex
    Wichita, KS
    What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)

4. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

actually the t350and 700 are almost identicle except the 4th gear, and stop complaining you could have a ford tranny if you guys want to complain buy a Bronco!

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I just cannot believe all you folks having trouble with the 700R4, my 86 has one, the original from the factory, and it has 120,000 on it and knock on wood I have not had a minutes trouble from it. Now I do change the fluid and filter every 10,000 just for the heck of it, I believe in regular and preventive maintenance.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Found this ad in a 4x4 mag...might be of use....

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1