Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveshaft and u joints on 72 jimmy....

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gmcman7202, Feb 7, 2006.

1. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

ok i have a 72' jimmy with all stock running gear, posi front and rear (as the sticker in the glovebox says, and i am sure its right) i have the sm465, and a 400 sbc with 33" tires, i dont even have the front driveshaft hooked up since i dont have one as of now. my problem that i have is i have been snaping u joints on the rear drive shaft. i got spicer joints, then the straps now snaped. i wont be going over 35's or a 4" lift. I need some advice on what i can do with the axles, and u joints. Been looking at switching over to 1410's but not sure if thats what i should do... keep in mind its really not a off roader, maybe the back dirt road, nothing to exciting... i was looking at girdles, and new u joints, but the drive shaft needs new tubing caus its dented. So what is best way to go to prevent breakage, and to keep the costs down

2. gmcman7202

input on any suspension will also be nice, since i dont want blocks snaping on me again

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Are you using the "strap" style retainers on your rear u-joint, or the "U-bolt" style?

The U-bolt style is quite a bit stronger than the stock straps...but it still doesn't answer the question about why you're munching those u-joints??

Are you tightening them down REALLY hard? They are only supposed to have something like 15 - 20 Lb/ft of torque on them.....if you go ape on them, I suppose there's a chance that you are just crushing the bearings all to hell and ruining them that way..... :dunno:

4. gmcman7202

well i have the straps on there, i was told not to drill out for the u bolt ones. i was goign to try the bolts.... as for the u joint, the knobs have sheared off, on both at the same time( not spicer, but the precison brand) when i was doing a burn out. next time it broke was the slip joint yoke on the driveshaft, ear snaped off. now the straps broke. if i drive like a granny its all fine, just have to much torque i guess.... as for bolting them on, i only was torquing them to 20 with locktite, and they all have been the greaseless ones, except for the precison ones, wich are lubed on the end cap, not with a zerk

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

What size are the joints you have now....

1330?
    1350?

The Spicer is supposed to be the best quality joints, maybe the Precision brand is just a low-cost (aka low-quality) joint by comparison??

Can't really say, I've never had enough power/gearing to light up the meats on my truck!! :laugh:

6. gmcman7202

i when the shafts stay intact, i can spin througn 2 and 3... i know 1 will do it, but its to much power, dont want to try, as for 4th, dont know, ran out of road.... i believe its the 1330, dont know and cant check, i am at school. its what ever was stock