Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveshaft angle concerns

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlitzK5, Oct 16, 2005.

1. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Will the driveshaft handle this angle or will the ujoint blow up. It was worse but I just lowered the transfer case down 1" and shimmed the 14bolt FF up 4.5 degrees. The diff pinion is pointing at the transfer case now. Im also concered about the amount of slip that is exstending out of the NP208. Is this enough? Will this survive or do I need a CV shaft before I drive anywhere.

IM000653.JPG

IM000654.JPG

IM000655.JPG

IM000656.JPG

IM000670.JPG

Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  2. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this helps.

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I don't think your pinion should be pointing at the transfer case unless you have a CV installed. The regular u-joints need to have similar angles so they can cancel each other out.

4. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

OH I see. Well i thought it would help because the trasfer case was binding untill I added the 4.5 degree shims. Maybe I should take them back out again. and lower the Transfer case some more.

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Not too sure how far it's lifted, but the different u-joints do have max operating angles. If you're lifted too high a cv might be your only choice. I went through a class that Spicer put on for u-joints and driveshafts (many, many years ago). They had a demo set up to show what would happen when they were out of phase or the angles didn't cancel each other out. Things can get real destructive in a hurry.

Might try checking for a write-up on u-joints or driveshafts. I know there's a pretty indepth write-up over on Pirate and should be some great info on here too if you run a search.

Good luck!

6. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

ok sounds good. I have a 4 " lift consisting of new OEM springs and a 4" Offroad design shackel flip out back and 4" warn springs up front. I believe the bigger 454 engine and 14 bolt are causing the problem with the angles.

7. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

Everything you need to know can be found here:

http://www.4xshaft.com/driveline101.html

Tom Woods Driveline

The guy knows his stuff inside out and backwards. It's all explained pretty well on his site, but give 'em a call if you have any more questions. I bought my rear CV shaft from them and they were really helpful.

Best of luck

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair