Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveshaft angle questions before I weld the perches

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by josh86k10, Dec 20, 2006.

1. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

I've got everything mocked up, with the truck's weight on the springs. Right now I've got 6 deg down on the t-case (fairly stationary)... so I put 6 deg "up" on the axle pinion (not welded yet). That put's my driveshaft at 17 deg down slope. And if I know what I'm doing, that gives an 11 deg operation angle on each of the joints, right? Maybe 12 deg depending on how good my eyes are under a truck on my back. For some reason it looks kind of steep. Should I tack her in place or tilt the pinion up some more. Still running S44 joints (a bastard S44/1350 at the axle). FWIW this is a Short bed K10 with roughly 7" of lift (shackle flip, add-a-leaf, and zero-rate...axle moved back 1.5"). HELP!!!

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I would move the axle down 2 deg to account for wrap when under load. With the pinion a couple degrees lower when under load it will actually be right on with the Tcase. If you put them the same at rest then under load the pinion will be higher in slope than the Tcase and could cause vibrations.

Ira

3. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

Well, my biggest concern is the 11-12 degree operating angle. I don't want to make that any steeper than it already is. Is 11-12 degrees okay, or will it eat u-joints?

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Mine is at 14 but other than that I dont have an answer.:o

Ira

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

anytime you increase the operating angle of a u joint it won't last as long. Just replace them once every 18 months or so. I say weld it where you have it. You won't be having much axle wrap at cruising speeds.

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

7. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

I appreciate it ya'll. For better or worse, She's welded up and that's where she's at. I'll let ya'll know how it works out.

8. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

I was looking through my old posts and realized that I never let everyone know how it turned out. Zero vibrations.... other than the ones from the TSL's, but actually zero vibrations with my street tires on. Just figured I'd post up a conclusion in case this pops up in someone's search some day.

9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Good deal! :waytogo: