Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft answers needed fast. Thanks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Aug 30, 2000.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Which way does the rear driveshaft go? I know I know round and round. [​IMG] But I pulled this thing out a year ago and can't remember which way it's oriented. Does the inner or outer slip go toward the axle? Need to know cause I'm swapping my u joints in a couple hours in my fuel and emissions class. And I've got a conversion joint going to the rear.

One more question, is it difficult to change the cv joint ujoints in the front? I haven't bought parts yet, but I'm leaving in about an hour. Thanks.

bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

The shafts that I have had all had the weights towards the rear.

Hope this helps, and sorry I could not be more specific.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. Sorry this is probably late, but better than never!

If you wanna take out the front driveshaft to work on it, it comes out pretty easy. You just unbolt the yoke up front from the axle (4 bolts). Then you unbolt the other end from the transfer case (another 4 larger bolts). You might need to pop both ends off (I just used a screwdriver) but they will come off. From there it is simple U-joint replacement. If you call banging on them simple that is.

Hope that helped. I don't know if that's what you wanted or not. Let me know if you want more specifics and I will crawl back under, take a look, and let you know.

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yeah a little late...but it might help out another fellow and that's important! [​IMG]

I already had them out of the truck and was just changing the joints. It took about 2 hours, would have been faster but we had the standard shop bs going on as well. They all went in well and the CV joint wasn't as bad as expected. Lucked out and had the ball joint in the middle in good working order. So I now have 5 new u joints installed, I went NAPA cause I couldn't find a dana spicer dealer in town and I may pay for it in the future. But live and learn right? Now all I lack is shocks and a battery. And swapping seats, tg cables, console, one leaf spring, and other misc over from my new parts truck. I'm gettin so excited, an end may be in sight!

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

5. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

Well it sounds like it is all down hill from there hope you are ready for the clayton OK. Run in a few months . Good luck Later, Bruce a.k.a. Big B.

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com