Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft beef?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudddog91, Apr 13, 2002.

1. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

OK I bent my rear driveshaft this week and i need to find out whats the best way to fix this and keep it from happening again.I made the driveshaft that was in it,I bought a 6 foot stick of the factory style driveshaft tube which was .093:"
    wall thickness.It has @ a 3" inside diameter.Well when it came in contact with a car sized boulder it kinda gave up the right of way.So I aquired a nice piece of tubing thats the proper length but its .250" wall thickness.Needless to say its about 30lbs heavier.does anyone see a problem with using this beefy tubing for a driveshaft?Its the correct inside diameter and its seamless on the inside,so other than the obvious Take it and have it balanced iS THERE ANY OTHER GOOD REASON NOT TO MAKE IT OUT OF SOMETHING THIS HEAVY?Any input would be appreciated.Im planning on making this driveshaft tommorow or monday so I need help fast.............................................................

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I would be concerned that a heavier tube would promote more damage should you throw a U-Joint or such. I did something similar to what you have done in retubing mine when I converted a front CV to the rear but I've stayed the same size. I'd imagine someone in the industry will jump in and have a range of thicknesses which are realtively safe... or as safe as can be expected.

3. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

I am planning on putting some kind of driveshaft loop around it to keep damage to a minimum but thats a good Idea............It woulod be scary to be pole vaulted across a highway.But where is the line between to much and not enough?

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've seen people try and use small diameter solid steel ... but pole vaulting wasn't half as much concern as a solid steel helicopter coming through the floor boards. I'd think rotational weight would also be a concern as a thicker tube shaft would rob power to get it moving and rob breaking to slow it down. I imagine theres a structural formula somewhere as to exactly how much you need to resist torque twist and maintain limited rotational resistance... but I think finding a thickness to resist bending due to rock impact may be a hard theory to come by. This ought to be an interesting thread /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Ya i dont like the idea of a 100 pound tube spinning at 2000 rpm coming through my floorboard let alone coming apart and hurting someone else ya know but like i said I will use a driveshaft loop or two to help combat this.I agree with you,theres got to be a formula people use to find optimum wall thickness for these things but how is everyone else keeping from bending a shaft due to rock impact?I know Im not the only one with this problem.I cant see running around with 3 spare driveshafts and you cant very well have a driveshaft skid plate, I mean the driveshaft is always gonna be subjected to this type of environment regardless of how careful you drive.The terrain I want to drive through makes it necessary to have a beefier driveshaft but at what cost is it reasonable?Ive heard of most guys upgrading axles,engines trannies,t-cases,but you cant get far with no driveshaft.I guess what im getting at is my driveshaft is now my weak link
    How do I eliminate this weak link?

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Well... you can have a driveshaft skid plate. Camaro's had a C beam from which the driveshaft was located in the middle. It was fixed to the pinion and pivoted at the tranny. It was used as a traction device rather than a skid plate but it would theoreticly work if it pivoted at both ends.

7. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Oh ya my brother has a firebird and when we changed the gears in it we had to take the traction bar skid plate thingy off.I wonder if it would work to do something like that?I imagine you would have to make it pretty stout to survive but if it traveled as much as the driveshaft it should work.I dont think it would be too much of a boat anchor either..............
    HMMMMMMMM..................