Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft binding at NP208 slip yoke. Need help!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlitzK5, Sep 26, 2005.

1. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

I just installed a 4" shackle flip, New OEM springs and a 14bolt FF and connected it to my NP208 only to find out that the driveshaft is binding with the slip yoke:(. Its ok at the 14 bolts yoke though. Anyone run into this problem before and what did you do? I was running a 4" lift before with no problem but now I cant even drive the thing. Need help!!

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Can you measure your pinion angle and transfer case angle? They might be too far apart. Did you extend the shackle length? Its possible the old springs were worn, and the driveshaft fit in good enough. The shackle flip will rotate the pinion a little IIRC.

3. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

The NP 208 is 4 degrees at the yoke. The 14bolt has 14 degress at the pinion and the driveshaft is at a 24 degrees.

4. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Well, I hate to say it, but you definately have angle issues. I forget the exact factory max angle difference, but its in the neighborhood of a few degrees. You need to lower your front driveline to match better with the rear. You can lower the transfer case to help relieve some stress. Put some metal box stock inbetween the crossmember and frame. Or you can get some shims to put between the leaf and axle. These are all temporary measures, with the most recommended fix being to reweld the spring perches to get the best driveline angle.

5. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Well the thing is that the way its sitting know there is no binding at the pinion, its only at the tranfser case so I dont see how shimming it or moving the spring perches would do anything to the binding at the transfer case. However I will try the dopping of the transfer case 1" to see if it does anything. The only concern about this is that it will now move my front drive shaft angle at the transfer case up causing binding there.
    Thanks.

6. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Well. I shimmed the axle 4.5 degrees an then dropped the transfer case 1". and this it was I got. Its not binding but it pretty damm close. Will it be ok? Sorry about the big pictures. I dont know how to make them smaller.

IM000653.JPG

IM000654.JPG

IM000655.JPG

IM000656.JPG

IM000670.JPG

Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  7. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i lowered my trans case 1 1/4" with a 5" lift. it works pretty good.

8. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Would'nt your front drive shaft be to short now. I cant even connect mine with the front 4" warn springs I used let alone the extra angle I created when I dropped the transfercase down 1".