Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft - center support bearing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mechted, Aug 1, 2004.

1. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok, more fun with my Brother's truck (C10 longbed)
    recently noticed that the rubber around the center support bearing was all trashed, so got the replacement part... then today we try to pull it apart, get the rear part of the shaft out of the way... then baffled as to where to go from there. The nut for the slip yoke doesnt seem to clear the splines... and is the bearing pressed on? anyway to get that off without a press? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Anyone know how to do this?
    and yes i know the "call Jess at HAD" fix... dont have that kinda cash to drop on a street pickup though /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

the 'nut' you're talking about should have rubber or cork washer inside it. Take that off first, the nut should just slide over the splines then. You can torch the old bearing off if you have some finesse, but you need the perfect size pipe and BFH to put the new one on.

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I believe that it is pressed on. We replaced the same bearing on my old C20 LWB pickup. We even cut the bearing cage off and then got pissed off cause we had to take it to a machine shop to get the old ring pressed off and the new one pressed on. Not too hard though.