Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveshaft clearancing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Sep 2, 2000.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have a 6" lift on my truck. The front driveshaft angularity is bad enough for it to bind.
    Now, driving less than about 20 mph it is no a big deal, I can't hear a knocking/clunking sound and I do keep it lubed up pretty well.
    Over 25 mph and it makes the death-coming-soon sound. Sustained, I'm sure it would spit the driveshaft.
    I don't have the $$$ for a new one ($160 from Denny's) plus I can't see buying a 1310 driveshaft when I really would eventually like a 1350 one (even more $$$.)
    So, I have heard about clearancing the CV. I've taken out the driveshaft and and see where it could use some clearancing, but what do I clearance it with? How much is too much?
    I have a standard electric drill, but where could a get an attachment small enough?

2. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

iam not being a smartass but did you reshim the axle when you put the lift on tho help with the pinion ang?

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The front springs did not come with shims. The shimns go between the axle and the leaf springs? Doesn't that mess up camber or caster or something?
    So, no, I didn't shim anything. ...?