Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft emergency

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Aug 16, 2000.

Hi everybody. I have a slight emergency. I pulled out my rear driveshaft to have the u joints replaced. The seal for the driveshaft in the back of the transmission was bad (leaking transmission fluid) so I wanted to replace it.

In the process of trying to remove it, I scratched the inside machined surface of the cylinder the driveshaft slides in (don't know the name). I put the new seal in anyway, but then thought better of it so I tried to pull the new seal out. In the process of doing that, I broke off a piece of the lip the seal fits in (on the cylinder piece) since the damn thing was aluminum. I did get that cylinder unbolted from the transmission at least.

So to my question.....What the hell is that piece and more importantly, can I buy another one new or will I have to pull it out of a junkyard?

Thanks a lot for the info as always.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It sounds like you mangled the tailshaft housing. Which transfer case do you have? I would imagine that finding a wrecking yard willing to sell just the tailshaft housing would probably be difficult [​IMG]. You might want to try a tranny shop, they always seem to have pieces of tranny's and T-cases around. HTH

Rene <font color=red> 81 K-20 Jimmy </font color=red>
    <font color=green>[​IMG]"God hates a coward"</font color=green>[​IMG]

2. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

My transfer case rear housing cracked on me. Like the other post stated, I picked one up from a tranny shop for $50.00. The scrap yards didn't want to sell it separately.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

3. Re: Driveshaft emergency - fixed

Well, humpty-dumpty is back together again with new u joints in the driveshaft and a used "transfer case extension". It is running great. Thanks for all the help.