Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft Fix and Interchange

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kchecca, Jun 24, 2002.

1. kchecca

kchecca Registered Member

Mornin' folks. I've tried the archives to no great sucess, so I feel the need to ask this early on Monday morning.

I need to fix/replace my rear shaft ('77 Blazer, TH350, NP203, 12-bolt, stock height). The splines are toast and allow +/- 15 deg movement. Rebuild - $250, Junkyard - $150, Private Parties - $50

Can I use a shaft from another tranny/t-case combination and have it fit? The private guys selling shafts don't have my exact combo.

I plan to go to a 4" lift in the next couple months, but I need the shaft now. Would that fact affect the options?

Any advise is appreciated. Thanks all.

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

why not wait, you can ride around in front wheel drive till you put the 4" lift. I have heard different stories about the driveline lengths wehn going to 4" lift. i just did a shackle flip on my blaze(72). i got under measured 37 1/2" from center yoke(205) to center yoke(14ff). funny part is that the original driveline(riding length) was that same length.

wait, if you have a slip yoke that may be a problem. but i am sure you can work something out.

ARQ.

3. kchecca

kchecca Registered Member

Yeah, only problem with that is that I am already without a front shaft because it is toast also! I think I am leaning towards getting a junk yard version and dealing with getting it retubed and balanced if I need to in the future. Gotta make more calls....

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yeah... my fullsize chevy has 14" leafs in the rear and I am stillusing the same rear driveshaft ( 2 piece and dropped the center bearing 4" )
    so go figure...