Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

driveshaft help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fwc, Apr 17, 2004.

1. fwc

fwc Registered Member Premium Member

The output yoke broke on my rear driveshaft causing some tremendously horible sounds as the drive shift flopped around on the highway./forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Both yoke and drive shaft are destroyed. I unbolted the driveshaft from the rear axle and drove the rest of the way home in 4H. I am now a front wheel drive jimmy owner. Does anybody sell a complete driveshaft unit (with yoke attached)? Am I better to get a local shop to make something? What will this be likely to cost me? The Jimmy is stock all around so I dont need any thing fancy. Any advice is appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

any drive shaft shop could hook you up. or maybe a junkyard seeing its all stock.

check the tcase for cracks, when i lost my drive shaft at 75mph it broke the tranny case and the tail shaft on the tcase

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If it's stock, hit the salvage yards. When I put in my 6" lift, I had a local driveshaft shop make me new shafts (Everything new, didn't reuse anything) Aprox. $200.00 per shaft.

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I know exactly how it is driving around in front wheel high. I had to do it with 3.42 gears and 37" tires when I was having problems with my 4.56 geared rear 14 bolt. It only sucked when accelerating or turning. Anyways, since your blazer is all stock, your best bet like everyone else has been saying would be to hit up a local junkyard. Any blazer driveshaft would work, and they wont charge you much. Getting a shaft made at a shop might cost you a penny, but if you look around a bit, you might find a really cheap shop to do it for you. I know when I wanted to get my rear shaft made into a cv shaft, all the driveline shops around me quoted me around $300 to do it. I got lucky and found one shop and the guy did it for $80. So, hit the junkyards first, and if they dont have what you are looking for, shop around. Somebody will have it for cheap.
    -Harrison

5. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have a stock Jimmy driveshaft sitting in my garage with a good slip yoke and even a good Spicer joint in it. PM if you're interested.

7. fwc

fwc Registered Member Premium Member

thanks for all the help so far guys, does anybody know if gm still stocks this assembly and what the part number is? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif