Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Driveshaft HELP??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Nov 20, 2000.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I've got an inconsistant vibration at around 60+ mph. Then when I let off the gas it gets worse. If I put it in neutral it doesn't go away. Then if give it gas again it gets better. Then sometimes when I take off and climb to 75 it doesn't vib at all until I hit a bump or let off the gas. I replaced the u-joints a while back, have no lift, stock tires. But on the rear u-joint the ears are a little worn and I can grab the drive shaft and push it up and down. Does this sound like the culpret?????

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

2. rebel222

rebel222 Registered Member

As far as I've heard if you can move the driveshaft like that, the u-joint is bad. I don't know for sure though. Could be that or a bent drive shaft. Good luck.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The last time my rear U-joint went was on the drive home from L.A. pulling our 21' trailer. I got a weird vibration under load, I actually thought I had a bad motor mount. This all started just North of San Francisco as we were heading up the coast. I took it easy the rest of the way home and every stop I would have a look see for the obvious, but I never thought to check my driveshaft. After we got home I had the time to look more thoroughly, I found some movement in the rear of the driveshaft. I couldn't beleive how f*%ked up the U-joint was when I changed it![​IMG].All the needle bearing were gone, and the stubs that were left were pretty chewed up! Most of all I can't beleive it lasted the 1000 miles+ from San Francisco to home!

There should not be any up and down or side to side movement of the driveshaft. It sounds like a bad U-joint to me.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

thats the problem. Its brand new with less than 300 miles on it. It's been this way since I put it in. I changed both of them at the same time. The output yoke u-joint is tighter than.... well, it tight and it is the same as the one on the input yoke for the rear end. This one, I could push the caps through the ears of the driveshaft with my fingers. They fell out. So Im definately thinking that I need to take the shaft to a machine shop and have it worked on. Less you'll have any better ideas.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd take the driveshaft in. I've always had to hammer the new U-joints in. It sounds like it got left a little too long at least once. I'm surprised mine didn't do that.

Rene

[​IMG]

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I might need to wait. I'm thinking about putting a TH400 inplace of my 700. And If I remember correctly the 400 is a bit longer than the 700. SO I'd have to take it in twice.